Clipped contours on Site Model - A Fix

Benson Shaw

• 1 month later...

I never could get enough new loci to keep the software from cutting the corners. I found that making a duplicate offset "fake" contour in my source data with a slight variance (~ 1 inch) both horizontally and vertically forced the software to follow the correct path.

Edited by karl@LAI
  • Like 1

Nice one, Karl@LAI!

Lots of folks try to put extra loci right on the contours, which does nothing to fix the clipping.  The extras have to be between the contours. 

My interpolated loci method is easy and usually effective, but a shortcoming is that changing the contour spacing (eg from every 2' to every 1' of elevation) the resulting Top view contours can have clips again.  I'll have to test with your offset the whole contour method. I like it!

I hope the Site Model module gets an update to fix this and other limitations in future vwx versions.

-B

Considering how important it is for the site model to reflect the survey data, I'm really surprised this contour "corner cutting" issue hasn't been addressed before this. I had assumed I was doing something incorrect and my work-around just let me get on with the project. Seeing someone else struggling with the same issue was at least reassuring.

OK, did a bit of testing in my sample site model with a valley.  Karl@LAI's method is right click the site model, Edit Source Data, select each 3d Contour (or just a few of them, I did all), Offset the contour -6" (new ones are pink), adjust new contour z= 0' -1".  Update the site model

This process defeats the clips as well as the interpolated loci method.  Both "fixed" site models display jaggy and clipped contours if the contour grade interval is changed in OIP>Site Model Settings>Minor Contour Interval. Eg from 2' to 1'.

Might be fixable for any contour interval with more intermediate contours or loci, but, sheesh!  What a lot of work to keep the displayed contours close to the original data.

-B

ContourFixes.png