VW2017 skirting, architrave, coving, cornicing, trims

Hi Jim

the video you linked to does not really cover some of the issues with the EAP method and also the skirting that was added is in the wrong place as it is half-way into the floor.

If you draw the path with say the polyline tool then its important to know which way you drew it: clockwise or anti-clockwise as you will get different results. In the images attached both examples look the same but the the left path was cw and the right path was anti cw. The results are different and therefore you have to handle the profile edit differently. This catches a lot of people out.

Also the video overlooked Lock Profile Plane which takes away the pain of having to edit the profile after the EAP (so much easier)

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 15.25.21.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 15.27.39.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 15.30.33.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 15.33.18.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 15.33.25.png

In its basic form, EAP definitely is one of the most unfriendly commands in VW. Its desire to centre the profile on the path is at the root of this. It would be infinitely better if the user could select the profile origin during creation or if a symbol, which has its own definable origin, could be used for the profile. EAP is essentially a pipe tool being used for molding :-)

The future of molding creation more likely lies with Marionette, which is able to overcome some of these issues and create a more user friendly experience.

Kevin

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

The future of molding creation more likely lies with Marionette, which is able to overcome some of these issues and create a more user friendly experience.

Kevin

Even better would be the ability to insert a 2D symbol into a Wall Style and be able to bind it to a Level so that it could be used as a wall base, crown molding, etc that would move with the wall and automatically be cut by doors or windows.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 3
14 minutes ago, rDesign said:

Even better would be the ability to insert a 2D symbol into a Wall Style and be able to bind it to a Level so that it could be used as a wall base, crown molding, etc that would move with the wall and automatically be cut by doors or windows.

Probably true for architects..... I don't use the wall object that much in my work but I do use a lot of moldings.

KM

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'm in the Marionette camp for a short term solution but firmly in the Make Walls Do This camp for the long term. I can see why the Feature In Wall was added so that volumetric data/IFC stuff would be accurate, but making users manually create geometry that should just be: "This is always a part of this component when used on any wall" like the caps mentioned here:

There are a lot of good reasons for a profile-based-follow-the-walls-path elements to be included in our Wall objects. I have a wish in for that, I'll add this thread to it.

• 1 month later...

Another option is the framing member tool, you can use custom profiles , is parametric so you don't get all those 'extrude along path' lines in plan view, does a mitred joint neatly. Bit more work involved than EAP but can be quicker for later alterations. 

they really need to update door tool with custom architrave profile option.