2017 SP2: Unable to import any Sketchup 2017 drwaings

Marconi

Question

Hi,

Having issues importing sketchup files into vw 2017 SP2. I've attempted importing files from sketchup 2015 through 2017 to no avail. I'm aware of the existing issue with importing Sketchup2017 files into VW2017, but from everything I've read downsaving should do the the trick. However, I keep getting the same error message over and over telling me that my file is corrupt or from an unrecognized version of sketchup regardless of if I've saved downsaved it. This is across multiple files as well. The original file I was trying to convert was about 64MB so I tried creating a little test file from scratch and had the same problems. Perhaps this in an issue with any drawing originating from Sketchup 2017? Thoughts?  

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Can you send me the SKP file please? I can take a look. I did a simple cube test here from Sketchup 2017 Make saved to SKP 2016 and it worked as expected. 

The saving to an older version should still work as far as I know, even if you're saving from versions that we don't yet support. However, I have also had users have trouble importing an SKP if it was located on a network location or within a folder/subfolder structure with unsupported characters. If you place the SKP right on your desktop and try importing from there (if that isn't already what you're doing) does it behave differently?

• Like 1

Thanks for replying so quickly Jim. All of the above file versions were indeed saved directly to my desktop before I tried to import them into Vectorworks ( I had the same thought as you). Unfortunately I cant submit the file directly here, as it exceeds the max file size limit...Could I email the file to you, or share a dropbox link with you perhaps?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Marconi Apologies, I was incorrect, I had tested from Sketchup 2016 not 2017.

I was unable to import the SKP saved from Sketchup 2017 as Sketchup 2016 format. However, I WAS able to import the file saved from Sketchup 2017 to Sketchup 2014 format. Submitting this as a bug now, we should support up to SKP 2015 regardless of the source.

VB-136969

• Like 2

Hi,

I have the same problem and already tried to save my Sketchup file in all versions from Sketchup 4 up to Sketchup 2017 and import in Vectorworks 2017. None of them worked. I get the same error message that the file is damaged or unsupported. Tried the same with a simple file made in Sketchup and the result was the same. Could you help me?