Edit lighting instruments INSTANT CRASH

markdd

Question

When assigning multiple focus points to a selection of Instruments using the edit instrument dialogue box I get an instant crash when completing the command. This happens for other editing commands such as changing shutters.......Has anybody else seen this behaviour? This happens on both computers and in more than one drawing.

Mark

19 answers to this question

Hi,

I am also having this problem. I have submitted a report to Vectorworks Support in Germany. This looks like a serious bug.

I have noticed that one doesn't even need to edit anything in the edit instrument dialog - simply clicking OK after opening the dialog without making any changes will cause my Vectorworks to crash immediately.

Please could you guys give details of your system to compare?

I am using Mac Version Vectorworks Spotlight 2017 SP2

MacOS 10.12.3

B-series Dongle

I have tried the attached file on two different Macs - both with the same OS and the crash is immediate.

LIGHTPLOT_TEST1.vwx

Edited by Benedick_Miller

I have solved this issue on my system.

I spoke to Vectorworks Support in Germany - They think the problem was caused by my Vectorworks User Data and Preferences Folder being a Dropbox folder.

However whilst trying to re-set to the default preferences folder - to test the theory - I could not start Vectorworks. In the end I uninstalled Vectorworks (including removing all application support and preference files) downloaded the latest version (SP2) and installed from scratch. Everything is working now. The above mentioned crash does not occur.

Unfortunately I cannot confirm that Dropbox was indeed causing the problem as I couldn't test this. I can pass on that I've been told that the Vectorworks User Data and Preferences Folder should not be a Dropbox folder. Re-installing a clean Vectorworks has fixed the problem.

Edited by Benedick_Miller

I can confirm that deleting the RuntimeCache folder fixes the "Edit Light..." instant crash on VW 2017 SP3. I am running a 2016 MacBook Pro, Sierra 10.12.3, Radeon Pro 460 graphics. It still crashed after I installed SP3, but having just found this thread and deleted the RuntimeCache folder, it now works -- I can edit shutter cuts and apply gobos. Yay!

On 4/28/2017 at 1:23 PM, J. Miller said:

Where does one find the RuntimeCache folder on a Mac?

Editing a shutter causes instant cache and i need to get a render out ASAP.

Jeff

You may have already figured this out, but the location of the RuntimeCache folder is described in this post:

Hi all, I am getting this same issue and it's causing me grief. 

I am on a mac using VW2017 and have tried to find the runtimecache folder following the thread above but it doesn't exist (a search also doesn't yield it) 

Anyone have any ideas?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

By default this is a hidden folder. If you are having a hard time finding the folder you can use Vectorworks to help you get to the folder.

From the menu Tools>Options>Vectorworks Preferences select the User Folder tab click the Reveal in Finder button. Open the Plug-ins folder.

Once the folder is open quit Vectorworks and then delete the RuntimeCache folder

1 hour ago, Benedick_Miller said:

Hi Tcourse,

when you say the RuntimeCache folder does not exist: how far along the path do you get?

Here is the full path on my machine: /Users/*myUserName*/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/2017/Plug-ins/RuntimeCache/

Hi Benedick/Klinzey

Thanks for replying, I hadn't realised the library was hidden in the user folder. Klinzey's advice helped me find it. 

However now I have deleted it it's worse!! everything crashes out if i even right click on a fixture or try to insert a light!

26 minutes ago, klinzey said:

By default this is a hidden folder. If you are having a hard time finding the folder you can use Vectorworks to help you get to the folder.

From the menu Tools>Options>Vectorworks Preferences select the User Folder tab click the Reveal in Finder button. Open the Plug-ins folder.

Once the folder is open quit Vectorworks and then delete the RuntimeCache folder