rendering DTM

Bea Greaves

My DTM in 3D is a grid which I would like to leave in wireframe while showing my site model layer rendered. When I render the site model the DTM grid disappears. Is there any way of showing the wireframe grid at the same time as the rendered site model?

The project is a small residential/landscape (using VW Landscape) and the house is on a sloping site (sloping in various directions). When I make the pad modifier for the house (using different height vertices on the 3D polygon), with control fence, the contours still run through the pad and not around the edge of the house plan.

Also could you let me know how to include existing retaining walls into a DTM? I've tried to use the landscape wall tool but it doesn't alter the DTM in the right way - the walls don't retain the ground behing them but just show up as blips.

Many thanks for your help, Bea

Well, if you want the same thing, just one rendered and one wireframe then you can do this. Go to the resources palette and select your file. There is a folder and inside the folder is a symbol for your existing. Place this on another layer as if you were plopping down any other symbol. Set this to the right view you want. Then go to the other layer where you want it rendered and render it. You will be able to see both.

I think. My brain is running on short fuses today - been one of those weeks.

Thanks for your reply - when I said "site model" I meant for example the plan of the house in a 3D view and not the DTM model. Would this change anything - the DTM grid still disappears when I have it showing in a layer underneath the rendered house plan layer.

Also did you have any ideas about the other questions?

Sorry to burden you in this bad week!

If you have your DTM and Site Model on two different layers, set those to be the only visible layers, render the layer with the Site model, the DTM should stay in wireframe mode.

THe other question -- you have walls that you have made and you want them to be site modifiers?I don't know if I know what you are asking ..

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Bea, if I may, let me try and post something definitive on this topic. There are two ways to have grids superimposed on a site model.

1. EMBEDDED GRID METHOD: This is the way built into the DTM display, and the display of it is done using class visibility settings. Here's how:

1.1. First, using the DTM View Options command, set the following: On the 3D Options side of the dialog, check the Grid box, set your grid spacing, and check the Open box. Also check the Triangles box. Close the dialog.

1.2. Now, in the Classes dialog, set the 'DTM-Triangle 3D' class to a solid fill (the color that you want your "ground" to appear) and set the 'DTM-mesh' class to a contrasting pen color and no fill. Check the Use at Creation box for both these classes.

1.3 Now go back and render your site model using OpenGL. You should see a grid "embedded" in the surface of your site model.

Some people want the grid to "float" above the surface of the model, or have other special needs (a triangular grid, for example). This is easily accomplished using hte second method:

2. FLOATING GRID METHOD

2.1. Draw your grid over the top of the model using lines. Give these lines a color of pen that contrasts with your model.

2.2. Convert these line to 3D polys using the Convert to 3D polys command. Ungroup them, but keep them selected.

2.3. Send these lines to the surface of the model using the "send to surface" command.

2.4. Use the Move 3D command to move the lines a little more in the positive Z direction so that the grid visually "floats" over the surface of the site.

Again, rendering in OpenGL will display the "solid" site model with the "unfilled" grid.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...