Edit texture image

Andy Broomell

Question

There should be an "Edit Image" button when working with Textures with image-based shaders. This would open the image in the default photo-editing application (such as Photoshop), let you make edits, and upon closing/saving the file it would automatically load the updated image back into Vectorworks.

The current workflow is to exit the texture editing interface, right click the texture in the Resource Browser, choose "Extract Image", save the image somewhere on your hard drive, find that file on your hard drive, open it in Photoshop, make the edits, re-save the file to your hard drive, go back to your texture in the Resource Browser, right click and choose Edit, click Edit next to the shader you're changing, click "Change Image", choose "Import an Image File", find the updated file on your hard drive, click OK, then it's updated. Phew! It would save a lot of time to have editability built in.

Mock-up:

EditImage.png

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

Yes I have to agree with the excessive clicking to get an updated image.  What needs to happen at least is for the resource to remember where the image comes from (like a reference file) and be able to

at least have an update button or even better do it automatically.  I do think an update button is important though as a visual cue that something has changed.  I'm voting it up.

Welcome.

I have no problems if image textures reside outside of the file.

(at least as an option)

I currently bought some interior materials for my Modo and C4D.

You don't get any Textures with less than 4096x4096 Pixel anymore.

Those were about 50 GB.

It would not make much sense to keep some of these in my VW file.

Edited by zoomer
19 hours ago, zoomer said:

I currently bought some interior materials for my Modo and C4D.

You don't get any Textures with lass than 4000x400 Pixel anymore.

Those were 50 GB.

It would not make much sense to keep some of these in my VW file.

I hear ya @zoomerand I wouldn't want my files being loaded up with files either hence my use of the word reference so that it's not actually in the file itself but is rather linked to the file.

The intent of the wish is to make texture changes, for instance, easier to update in any given file.

Exactly.

Before VW I never had Image Textures in an CAD or 3D App file ever.

Those were always linked.

And as soon as I edit one and come back to may App, they always immediately asked :

"Some of your Image textures were edited outside of you App, would you like to update these ?"

If one needs to Export or Archive the complete File including all needed external Sources,

there was always a "Save with Assets" or "Save Archive" option.

Edited by zoomer