What are you working on?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, RussU said:

I didn't realise that Renderworks could do a nice anisotopic highlight effect, to get the brushed effect so nice!

Great demo. Very nice.

Do you think a direct tutorial on getting different metal finishes as textures would be widely beneficial? I've been looking for a few more topics for Rendering content.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, RussU said:

I didn't realise that Renderworks could do a nice anisotopic highlight effect, to get the brushed effect so nice!

Great demo. Very nice.

The rendering are made in C4D, but now with the material link it should be possible with VW as swell.

The renders I create are rendered with team render (1 MacBook, 2 pc`s) in C4d. Goal is to keep render times under 1 hour

All the modeling is done in VW: Picture frames are made with Marionette. Lamps are created from scratch based on nurbs surfaces.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Do you think a direct tutorial on getting different metal finishes as textures would be widely beneficial? I've been looking for a few more topics for Rendering content.

It wouldn't for me. For this kind of scenes I always use C4D.

I sort of know where every button is in C4D so its easier for me to do it there.

And there are not as many options as there are in C4D, but I can be wrong about that.

Edited by Bas Vellekoop

I would agree with that completely. For the time being, I mainly have to keep my thinking in the Vectorworks-only line, not leaning on any external software packages. In the case of C4D though, it seems that leaning on it is the direction we are going and my thinking may need to change.

I expect more work will be done to improve upon the pipeline from Vectorworks > C4D, improved export and increased usability of native C4D resources. This is different than I would have preferred personally, but it does make more sense to lean on an existing industry leader than to try to build our own from scratch AND do all the other things we need to do at the same time with the same resources.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

I would like to see direct tutorials on getting better procedural metal finishes in Vw (but I would not limit it to just metals).

For starters on better metals tutorials: 

1. anodized aluminum (as in Bas's beautiful C4D example);
  2. brushed stainless steel like you find on kitchen appliances (one that looks 'realistic' and renders relatively quickly);
  3. Corten steel
Edited by rDesign
1 hour ago, JimW said:

To be honest, I don't use RW at all really. On occasion I'll do an OpenGL view, but rarely a RW one.

Maybe I'm spoilt coming from 3ds max and VRAY which has a very complete texturing toolbox.

I originally bought VW designer, and noticed that image props and especially the plant objects didn't at all work without RW.... So I paid another £500 to get it, and tried to migrate my workflow into RW but couldn't get an efficiant work flow. I find it quite hard living without a uvw unwrap feature.

I would love to see a "migrating to" series or similar, that would be really handy for some old-timers.

I'm not slating RW at all, I just don't know how to use it effectively

My personal preferences are a little biased towards 3D modeling/rendeirng work rather than architecture or the other large industries we cater to, so I do understand why simplification is one of our main goals with render.

However were I king, my first Renderworks acts would be: 

1) Unlock the rendering engine portion and let users select what engine they wanted to use from the big guys (Vray, Maxwell, Octane etc) and they could buy their own licenses if they wanted the extra power.

2) Node-based texture editing.

3) Significant modernization of the Attribute Mapping tool, letting it work on individual faces of any object type, even advanced custom plugins, no UV unwrapping required.

4) Path and follow-me based camera control for easy creation of walkthrough and flythrough animations.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, RussU said:

To be honest, I don't use RW at all really. On occasion I'll do an OpenGL view, but rarely a RW one.

I'm not slating RW at all, I just don't know how to use it effectively

This is the key item I intend to focus rendering training on. Since now everyone has Renderworks included, may as well take advantage of it! I want users to be able to get the most out of their investment in us.

However, as you mentioned, anyone who used one of the big kahuna rendering packages before will find Renderworks to be extremely limited, I don't think there is any getting around that.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JimW said:

This is the key item I intend to focus rendering training on. Since now everyone has Renderworks included, may as well take advantage of it! I want users to be able to get the most out of their investment in us.

However, as you mentioned, anyone who used one of the big kahuna rendering packages before will find Renderworks to be extremely limited, I don't think there is any getting around that.

In old studios we always had bum-fights between each other. 3ds vs c4d vs maya and so on.... I always thought that C4D was one of the heavyweights, although I don't know first hand.

Being as C4D is owned by Nemetschek, is there any good licencing/begging/stealing/borrowing any of their code or modules? It would really add to VW/RW enormously!

no point in re-inventing the wheel if you already have that! Perhaps, for those of us that owned RW before it was bundled, they could offer a C4D licence?

Dear Santa.....

C4D is definitely a larger player these days, I didn't mean to snub them in my previous post I just sort of auto-assumed their inclusion since we use a limited version of their engine currently. My letter to Santa this year included many things, I do not have any insider knowledge on the dealings between MAXON and us, but from the random bits and pieces I heard of a recent trip to visit them, we can expect significant advances in the future. 

The licensing question, and/or a possible discount on both software packages if they were purchased for use with one another is a possible route I would not be opposed to at all.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, JimW said:

I'd like to see something on metal finishes.  Now that I have at least a better understanding of materials from @zoomerand the links he has posted I find the default content, specifically metals to be very unrealistic.  The use of IES lighting would be of interest to me as well.

• Like 2