Loss of renderworks options / Renderworks disappears

AlanW

Question

Hi, Has anyone experience the total loss of the Renderworks options. On 5 of the 6 computers at work all the ability to render with any of the renderworks options are gone. Some files open and you can see the renderworks options in the OIP and then you hit render and the viewport snaps to wireframe and then you try the background render options again and no renderworks options again.

VW2017 SP2 all PC's. 

On VW 2016 all is fine, I can export the file that does not work in 2017 back to 2016 and all is stable and works.????

Been conversing with OZCad but it is a mystery so far. All use the same server virus protection and My computer is all fine. Have uninstalled program on one computer and no change.

25 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes I've seen a few reports of this. When you say you've "uninstalled program" do you mean you've uninstalled and then reinstalled Vectorworks and Renderworks hasn't reappeared?

Edit: Checked with support and they're still trying to find a common cause. They request the following from the machine experiencing the issue:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1080/Creating+a+List+of+Installed+Programs

VB-122052

Jim,

Hi I uninstalled to see if the problem rectified itself but the same issue occurred. Renderworks is there sometimes when you start the program and sometimes not. But each time you try to render the viewport when you see renderworks the viewport snaps to wireframe and if you go to Background Render in the OIP the option for renderworks (No Renderworks Styles or Renderworks options) mode is there.

Check tech support I sent a video of what was happening to Sydney OZCad and hopefully it was passed on.

I used "BeLarc" to capture all the details about the computers and forwarded this on also from My computer that is fine and 2 others not so good.

Will continue to converse with Sydney Tech support so see if the issue can be resolved. At least I have my Computer working fine in the Office and at Home.:)

Edited by Alan Woodwell
10 minutes ago, Alan Woodwell said:

Jim,

Hi I uninstalled to see if the problem rectified itself but the same issue occurred. Renderworks is there sometimes when you start the program and sometimes not. But each time you try to render the viewport when you see renderworks the viewport snaps to wireframe and if you go to Background Render in the OIP the option for renderworks (No Renderworks Styles or Renderworks options) mode is there.

Check tech support I sent a video of what was happening to Sydney OZCad and hopefully it was passed on.

I used "BeLarc" to capture all the details about the computers and forwarded this on also from My computer that is fine and 2 others not so good.

Will continue to converse with Sydney Tech support so see if the issue can be resolved. At least I have my Computer working fine in the Office and at Home.:)

No problem, I'll be able to pull the info from them, thank you again!

Hi, Has anyone experienced renderworks disappearing if the operating system is Windows 7 Professional?

To get it to show the problem draw a cube and go OIP and add a texture choose render and click on texture. If it fails you will be left with only the option of a line and no option again to choose a texture.

Have discussed with Sydney and this issue is only happening on 5 computers that are Windows 7 Professional. 2 Computers with 8.1 & 10 are fine.

Unable to use 5 licences at 2017 SP2 and have to revert to 2016. Not Good.

Edited by Alan Woodwell
10 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

Hi, Has anyone experienced renderworks disappearing if the operating system is Windows 7 Professional?

To get it to show the problem draw a cube and go OIP and add a texture choose render and click on texture. If it fails you will be left with only the option of a line and no option again to choose a texture.

Have discussed with Sydney and this issue is only happening on 5 computers that are Windows 7 Professional. 2 Computers with 8.1 & 10 are fine.

Unable to use 5 licences at 2017 SP2 and have to revert to 2016. Not Good.

This is the only Windows report I've gotten so far of this issue but it's been happening frequently on the Mac side, merged this with the thread from earlier. So far I have not gotten a workaround from engineering. A fix is being worked on for the Mac side but I have yet to hear anything regarding Windows.

12 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

Hi, On one computer in the office i can right click a texture in the resource manager and click edit and a dialogue opens so i can edit.

On another computer click edit and no dialogue opens.

Any Ideas??

Is this when working with one of the machines on which Renderworks has disappeared?

49 minutes ago, J. Wallace said:

@Alan WoodwellI only get an edit if it's the active file, it would be nice if you could edit textures in a non-active file, this dialogue box appears once selected.

I think there is the "red house" (Always Active File) Setting needed in RM when we switch Files,

which we had in old RB.

(Which didn't always work for me)

That is very frequent wished on the german Forums.

For the user-ignoring "Edit" of non active Files,

I think at least a hint like :

"This resource is not in your current file - do you want to import that ... ?"

@Jim@Dave DonleyHi, Problem was solved today when Julian Carr sent me a file to update windows.  This is a system file that Renderworks requires. Normally Vectorworks installs it if not there. The fix came from Dave Donley's suggestion (chief RW engineer).

One question Julian asked was Did you install Vw on these machines or copy it from another machine?  Answer was no we downloaded the program onto server and installed all computers from same file and only the Windows 7 professional computers had the problem. When I ran the file all was good even without restarting the computer, just restarted VW.

It appears that the file may not have been shipped with the program, you might check your mac rollout as I understand you were having the same problem with them.

Unfortunately i emailed the email to home and the zip file did not attach, but chat with Dave Donley .

Amazing what one small file can do, it only took about 15sec to install.

Hopefully it will keep working but all worked instantly they way the program should.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Hello Raymond, curios, we have this issue only on windows 10 pro (build 1709 or 1803) but with Vectorworks 2016, 2017 ond 2018 on different hardware, no matter what graphics card is used, so we guess it is a system file, maybe the redistributable C++, but we would be happy if someone could share this informationen here.

This issue returned. Restarting my computer did not solve the issue this time.

Here are images.

The 2D representation of what appears to be the top component (Spanish Clay Tile) of my roof object is showing as a wireframed object.

This affects my hidden line render in my elevation viewport as well as my openGL render.

Just yesterday, these roof objects rendered as solid. I came into the office today and opened vectorworks to find that these objects were transparent.

I went back into a backup file not too long ago and found that these same roof objects behave normally.

These two files, one with transparent roof components and one with solid roof components, are open simultaneously.

This appears to be caused by a bug in the software as opposed to my own doing.

Let me know if you have a solution, or if I should be posting this to a different location on the forums.

Thanks,

Raymond

RoofProblem1.JPG

RoofProblem2.JPG

RoofProblem3.JPG