Scaling symbols with nurbs surfaces doesnt work properly

Bas Vellekoop
Message added by PVA - Admin

This is scheduled to be fixed in 2019 SP3

Question

15 answers to this question

Ugh... this bug is my arch nemesis. @JimWI've never seen it happen in the design layer in previous versions (Bas Vellekoop's image). Maybe this clue helps kill it for good.

I tested in VW2017 with my normal test object and here's the results -

Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 8.59.49 AM.png

CORRECTION - My test object was no longer a NURBS surface, it had been converted to a generic solid. These errors are happening on a generic solid within a scaled symbol. See below for a NURBS version.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 1

Thanks for listing this, Kevin, Bas, Jim.  I see it too.    Here's a layer plane rectangle converted to NURBS Surface, and a duplicate made into a symbol. Several scales.  The NURBS object scales via Modify>Scale objects. But the symbol version does not scale properly via the  OIP scale field. Same result in all render modes, except wire frame shows outline of the extents.

Scale NURBS Symbol.png

Scale NURBS Symbol.vwx

Edited by Benson Shaw
Add files
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I think its a few clustered into similar behavior as well. The some-edges-not-others appearing in scaled symbols in @Kevin McAllister's lamp example I think is rendering specific, the objects not scaling at all or vanishing entirely are another and possibly two separate ones on their own. The current bug I've filed wads them all together until we can get engineers to pull it apart and if they're able to isolate the issues I'll file and run them down individually. This has definitely gotten worse (or more common) between 2016 and now.

Please note I corrected the notes with my example above. Somewhere along the way my test object got converted to a generic solid as a workaround.....

Here is an example with the bottom of the chandelier converted to NURBS surfaces - 

Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 1.29.03 PM.png

There seem to be issues with spheres, generic solids, and NURBS surfaces..... most of them go away when you convert the symbol to a group.

Kevin

1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

What happens when you convert the symbol version to a group in its scaled state?

What happens when the scaled symbol is converted to a group is very strange: The object becomes invisible.  Ungroup does not help.  The object is still invisible.  Scale again to make it reappear, 

But other strangeness in that file.  Scale the symbols as shown in the png (the extents scale, but not the visible object), then close and reopen the document. Result is that the symbols display as expected - they are scaled properly. And, they can be repeatedly rescaled and display correctly.  It's alive and trainable!

I give up.

-B

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

But other strangeness in that file.  Scale the symbols as shown in the png (the extents scale, but not the visible object), then close and reopen the document. Result is that the symbols display as expected - they are scaled properly. And, they can be repeatedly rescaled and display correctly.  It's alive and trainable!

I've seen this in the past too.... as I said, this bug is my arch nemesis. Every time I want to create an interesting, organic shape it catches me - trees, umbrellas, chandeliers......

Kevin

I think we already discussed a similar problem a while ago.

It was about scaled Blocks from Autocad import where some

parts of it ignored the scaling.

And I thought the problem was found quickly and this would be fixable.

But forgot about it and never re-checked that so far.

So maybe that wasn't a problem about DWG or its import but a general

VW problem ?