How to set dimension tolerance default

If you are referring to the tolerance, that is controlled by what you type in the OIP whne Tolerance is set to something other than none.

If you are referring to the precision the dimensions draw at, make sure the General Display is set to 1/8" or smaller such as 1/16" and Dimen. Objects Primary is set to 1/8".

If your general display precision is set to 1/4", then 1/4" is the best the dim. objects are going to be able to round to. They will not be able to go as detailed at 1/8".

Hi Katie;

Thanks for your help. What I did not notice is that the Units dialog box has a pull-down menu that defaults to General Display. I now realize that there is a pull-down for dimensions. I was setting the precision for the General Display and not for dimensions. Problem solved thank you.

Now I have a few more questions:

1.What is "Tolerance"? My question had to do with "Precision", but now I see a pull-down in the OIP that says "Tol". What is that? It appears that "Precision" has to to with rounding. So what is Tolerance?

2. When I set units for General Display, what is that? Is this what controls the Data Display Bar?

3. What is the difference between Dimension Objects Primary and Dimension Objects Secondary?

Tolerance is a means value for a dimension. It's used primarily in machine cutting practices.

Say you have a hole being cut in the shape of a rectangle. Not all machines can cut 5.3268" and you can allow for a 1/16" tolerance or .25 tolerance.

The hole can be 1/16" or .25 bigger or smaller and still be acceptable.

It's an additional dimension marker that goes next to the actual dimension object to let someone know what the tolerance for that object is.

General Display controls the precision the objects are drawn at - yes the data display bar and OIP.

If the General Display is set to 1/4" or .00, your object can only be drawn with an acuracy of 1/4" or two decimal places.

This is also linked to the dimension displays as the dim. displays cannot be more precise than the general display.

Dimension Object Primary is what is normally created when you dimension an object.

Dimension Object Secondary is the secondary dimension displayed - generally in another measurement such as imperial for primary and metric for secondary. This is controlled by the dimension stardard specified in the Dimensions setting of VW Doc Prefs. YOu can also change the dimension type of the dimension in the OIP with the dimension selected.

ASME Dual Side by Side and ASME Dual Stakced are the two dimension standards that create two dimensions along the dimension line.

You can see what I am referring more if you select a dimension and change it to one of the ASME dim standards in the OIP.

The Units dialog box is explained on page 2-21 - 2-24 in the VW 10 User's Guide.

2-15 - 2-16 explains the different dimension standards and also in Chapter 14.