Finding Mystery Keynote

Tom Klaber

Question

We are using keynotes for the first time - they seem great.  But there is one mystery note - G2 - That does not seem to exist anywhere.  I need to erase it, but I can't find it.  I have checked all the layers in case it was coming from somewhere else - but it is super hidden.   I wish there was a "Locate Note In Drawing" command like you have with worksheets.  Does anybody have any clever ideas?

17 answers to this question

Just now, Alan Woodwell said:

Have you tried to hit :'Remove Gaps' at the bottom of the OIP? it removes any key notes you have deleted in the drawing. Generally the unused keynoe will be set by default to N/A which you can set at bottom ot OIP also.

HTH

Keynotes.pdf

Thank you.  Yeah - I know about the Remove Gaps - but this is not an N/A.

Somewhere - either in truth - or just in the mind of the VW file - there is a keynote pointing to this legend.  

The XML or .txt file might be in the same area as your Workspace folder:

username/AppData/Roaming/Nemetschek/Vectorworks/2016 (or version #)/Libraries/Defaults/Notes

Or it might be the default file, which is in the same relative place under the C:/Program Files directory.

You can customize the filename and the place it saves to when you set up your Keynotes preferences and/or in the User Folders tab in VW preferences dialog.

If you are not using a database, I'm not sure how that works - there might be something created or loaded automatically, I've never looked into that.

Edited by P Retondo

OMG - this problem is getting worse.  Now I created a new Legend and there are 6 mystery keynotes pointing to the new one - and my old rename trick did not work.  
What is going on??

@JimWIs this an easily corruptible thing?  We have a release today and I need to know if this is fixable, or otherwise we are going to need to start to redo a whole bunch of work.  

I had a very big thing with database linked keynotes... that was in vw2016, with entries duplicating, overwriting one another and all sorts. It wasn't at all usable then, so I went back to traditional call-outs.

I've not tried it in VW2017, but it sounds like the problems are inherited from previous version... The more you fiddle with them the worse it gets it seems.

Just now, RussU said:

I had a very big thing with database linked keynotes... that was in vw2016, with entries duplicating, overwriting one another and all sorts. It wasn't at all usable then, so I went back to traditional call-outs.

I've not tried it in VW2017, but it sounds like the problems are inherited from previous version... The more you fiddle with them the worse it gets it seems.

That is what I fear.  It almost seemed too good when we started, but now as our system has gotten more complex, and as we have added new legends - it seems to be disintegrating.  

On 12/7/2016 at 12:23 PM, Alan Woodwell said:

Have you tried to hit :'Remove Gaps' at the bottom of the OIP? it removes any key notes you have deleted in the drawing. Generally the unused keynoe will be set by default to N/A which you can set at bottom ot OIP also.

HTH

Keynotes.pdf

Thank you Alan, it worked for me. When a keynote is deleted it shows up as N/A in the list, which make sense due to this note is N/A for a particular job. The above method by Alan deals with an obsolete keynote, and it's great. VW should allow options for 'N/A' or 'Remove From List' when a keynote TAG is deleted. Thanks Alan.

Edited by SIDUG
On 6/13/2018 at 3:54 PM, BG said:

We have used the 'Find-Replace Text'  menu item to locate keynotes successfully. Not sure if that will work for you?

Hi BG, to whom is your post addressed to? It wouldn't have been me because Alan's post had solved the particular problem for me. cheers.

Hi Tom, I totally agree. I have been using VW for 20 years, my latest version is VW2017, so I'm not totally inexperienced.

I had a little bit of free time on my hand so wanted to try out Callout - Keynotes Legend. Yes it turned out that it sounds too good to be true. I just spent 8 hours learning it.

Although I successfully created 2 new legends after 4 hours(due to hundreds of options in the main dialouge box), when it came to updating or creating new legends it 's been a nightmare, just one problem after another. My latest one is when trying to create a new legend based on an existing one, a duplicate note appeared in the "Notes in Keynotes List Objects" of the existing legend. And it is showing up in the Legion on my layer. Is there a button to delete something in the box "Notes in Keynotes List Objects"? NO. After 4 hours I gave up on helping myself. Can anybody help me please?

It is just one tool of millions in VW and it took 8 hours of my life with dead ends. My favorite saying is: " I don't work 24/7, only 14/7 since I have to deal with something like this every day". Sorry about the ranting. Lol.