3D contours

benboggs

Hello - I have the worst luck searching the forums as everything I search for comes up as no results found or unrelated......anyways....

Here is what I need assistance with:  I imported a survey that was created with AUTOCAD Civil 3D - the survey model was 'smart'.  When the survey imported the contours kept their elevation and are 3D polygons...I need the lines to be dashed - but VWs will not allow me to make them dashed.  I have made the class a dashed linetype.  The issue is when I select the contour lines - it says they are solid and I cannot change them to be by class in the attributes panel.....

Thoughts?

Also on a side note:  There has to be an easier way to import survey files that are created with smart elements in CAD.  What I am finding is that we take these smart CAD survey models, make them dumb and import them into VWs rebuild the model and make the survey smart to work with our site models and then we turn around, export the VWs model out - it becomes dumb again all for our Civil Engineering consultants to bring into Civil 3D to make them smart again for their work.....................I hate to ask this question - but did we make a mistake investing in VWs?  This is a tremendous amount of effort and work between subs and us to make our information work between disciplines.  Maybe my lack of knowledge and using VWs has me frustrated.  And by dumb I mean the built site models/surfaces do not correspond between programs.  

• Like 2

-1 for asking a question....When we purchased VWs one of the items we specifically asked is can we reference in CAD files.  The answer was yes!  However everyone on this forum has told me to NOT import CAD files as they will mess up your drawings.......You need to open them up in a blank VWs drawing, clean them up and then save them as a VWs file then import.  

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, benboggs said:

-1 for asking a question....When we purchased VWs one of the items we specifically asked is can we reference in CAD files.  The answer was yes!  However everyone on this forum has told me to NOT import CAD files as they will mess up your drawings.......You need to open them up in a blank VWs drawing, clean them up and then save them as a VWs file then import.  

Well referencing a DWG is not the same as Import, when you import a DWG it should be imported into a blank doc before being brought into your file, but if youre using Reference in the DWG import options it will come in as a reference object separate from your geometry and class/layer structure.

However, as far as I am aware there is no equivalent for a Site Model object in the DWG format, so there wouldn't be anything we could import/export to that would be a native object in both applications.