House Embedded in Hill

sww1235

Hello:

I am working on a house design that is partially embedded in a hill. Since this is an idealized design now, I have entered a basic DTM using stake objects and and am using pads to create the indents in the landscape for the house. However, I cannot figure out how to get the landscape to hug the house like it has been backfilled around it. Currently, the proposed DTM is showing almost the entire volume removed due to the pads.

I have attached the VWX file if people need it.

Thanks in advance

wizards-tower.vwx

Edited by sww1235

@sww1235Hi, this tricky bit for this is because the tower steps in as you go to the top the modifier doesn't step in as it goes up. Can do as going down but will have a look to see.

What you need to do is duplicate your pad polygon ( which should be on the class Site/DTM modifier) the duplicate and offset by 1" and convert it to a grade limiter. update your site and you get the vertical cut.

Also you have too many design layers, not sure why. These should be classes unless a real reason for them. Design layers would be for each floor and site and all the items on that floor would be on classes.

HTH

wizards-tower.vwx

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Alan Woodwell said:

@sww1235

Also you have too many design layers, not sure why. These should be classes unless a real reason for them. Design layers would be for each floor and site and all the items on that floor would be on classes.

@Alan WoodwellI am a little bit confused about what you mean? I can understand the door open and closed layers being classes, but why would I want the pad and walls to be on the same layer? I am using the story and story layers functionality which seems to separate them out. 

Edited by sww1235

@sww1235To Quote Jonathon Pickup the CAD Guru

" Stories are the collection of settings for each floor;

Design Layers are where you draw the information.

You could think of Design Layers as being the container that you store all your design work in"

And Classes - have a look at the help VW file.http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2017/eng/index.htm#t=VW2017_Guide%2FStructure%2FConcept_Classes_Overview.htm&rhsearch=classes&rhhlterm=classes&rhsyns=

Hope all this helps, but if not post again all of us here are too willing to assist.

Looks like a fun project.

Edited by Alan Woodwell