Room Space Layout & Label

Asemblance

Hi All,

I've been setting up a bunch of room's with the space layout tool, but made the mistake of not having 'allow multiple labels' option turned on in the advanced settings.

Now I'm trying to set sheets up at both 1:100 and 1:200 which require different size room text labels.

As far as I can work out, the best way to do this is turn multiple labels on for each 'space', then create a second label with the same information but at a different scale, and have these both on seperate classes (i.e. one for 1:100, one for 1:200). This means I have to go through and individually change the option for 'allow multiple labels' on for each room (about 80-100 of those..).

Is this the right way of going about doing this? Can anyone recommend any shortcuts for any piece of this process?

Thanks!

If you are using Viewports, you should be able to go into the Advanced Properties and put in a Text Scale factor. (I am probably getting the names of everything wrong as I am not in VW right now).  This may allow you to scale the text and not have to go to a second label.

There should be a way to use a script to check the Multiple Labels box, but in a short search I have not found it. If you really need it, let us know and I will search harder and see if I can figure it out. The script is only about 10 lines, the hard part is figuring out the field name to use.

Pat,

Thanks for the reply - Unfortunately the text scale isn't an option here as some of the other text items we're using don't work well with this.

Actually I do need to get into scripting though. Could you recommend a similar script which performs a similar function, which I could look at adapting to this use and others? I.e. the script takes items, go's into a settings menu, finds the correct item and selects it? (This is my possibly naive notion of how these scripts work)

It appears that there are some other strange things with the Space object. I submitted the lack of this field and another bug this morning.

Here is a sample script of what it should be. This one sets the Energos tab setting for Manual Area for every Space Object.  Don't bother trying to set the Energos Use In Calculation field via a script. That is the other bug I submitted.

You might also want to take a look at this thread for a way to get the record/field names you need to plug in as you change the script.

Procedure SetSpaceEnergyManArea;

Procedure Change(Hd:Handle);

Begin
	SetRField(Hd,'Space','EnergyManArea','True');
	ResetObject(Hd);
End;

Begin
	ForEachObject(Change,((R IN ['Space'])));

End;

Run(SetSpaceEnergyManArea);

• 4 months later...

VW2017 SP3 has the fix to allow the scripting of checking the Use Multiple Labels.  Here is a script that will do this for every selected space object in the drawing.

Let me know if you need something else.

Procedure Spaces_to_MultipleLabels;

{Written in response to a request on the Vectorworks Beta List
{© Pat Stanford, January 25, 2017, Pat@coviana.com  Released into the Public Domain. No Rights Reserved}

{This script as written turns on the Enable Multiple Labels check box on the}
{Advanced Settings pane of the Space Setttings dialog box}
{Note that field name MultipleSpaceLables is spelled incorrectly from what would be expected.}

Procedure Change(Hd:Handle);

Begin
	SetRField(Hd,'Space','MultipleSpaceLables','True'); {Note Misspelling of Lables.  Required}
	ResetObject(Hd);
End;

Begin
	ForEachObject(Change,((SEL=TRUE) & (R IN ['Space'])));

End;

Run(Spaces_to_MultipleLabels);

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi again Pat (& All),

We've been hit by what I think was a known bug which is now fixed in SP4 (fingers crossed) whereby all of our multiple space labels were turned off and disappeared. I just tried to run the script you posted above Pat, but couldn't get it working.. Which either means I'm doing something wrong or possibly that SP4 has changed something which no longer allows the script to function.

Any idea what may be causing this? I'm loath to go through and select all of the 60 odd spaces we have and re-apply multiple space labels AGAIN!

Thanks,

A

Bad news.

It appears that the Space object PIO Record in SP4 no longer contains a field for Multiple Space Labels.

That would explain why the check box keeps getting unchecked. There is no field to store the data.

I will file a bug report.  Nothing we can  do about this in SP4. If you need this functionality you will need to decide if sticking/reverting to SP3 has less problems that dealing with this problem in SP4.

Hopefully there will be an SP5 that will fix this.

• Like 1

I have been working with VWInc and they have come up with what appears to be a solution.  This is for people who can not use Multiple Labels with Space Objects in VW2017 SP4.

Quit Vectorworks.

Drag the following folder to the desktop (so you can put it back if it does not help)

/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/VectorWorks/2017/Plug-ins/RuntimeCache

Restart VW.

For me, this restored the full functionality of the space object. If I then replaced the moved folder, I got the same Multi-label problem.

Hopefully this will help you out.