Is it worth the learning curve

I'd like any input regarding the use of the Model Setup features, specifically regarding elevation and section creation. I do almost exclusively residential design and recently made the HUGE leap from VW 8.5.2 to 10.5. I learned drafting "on the boards" years ago and while I've been doing CAD for quite a number of years (VW for the last 4+ of them), I still construct my drawings the "old way," as it were.

Having gone through the Training CD and tinkered with the drawing setup routines, I'm wondering whether there really is any significant savings in time by creating elevations and sections through the VW model process. Yes, I can see it's value in creating 3D models and elevation studies, but those aren't construction documents. For example, is there enough control over the software to create specialized gable end details (greek and pork chop soffit returns), and sections showing complex trusses (scissor, studio vaults, coffers, etc)? It just seems without having spent the learning curve time to find the answers to my question that in the end I will find that my construction - rather than the software's - of elevations and sections will yield better details for actually less time.

Am I wrong? I would appreciate any input before I spend lots of time "back in school" rather than on the job.

I'm still using 8.5 (architect) and I find (also being from the "old School") the time spennt in doing it the old way but using as many of the vw features as possible has been cost effective. For instance, I use the window elevation symbols but switching to elevation view, converting to group and inserting in my elevations which are usually drawn on the plan/top view. I did download a script which turns the model into 4 flat elevations on a separate sheet which is a timesaver. Cross-sections I do manually so I can "build" them as I work.