Views in Symbol edit mode are incorrect

Here are two screen shots inside a symbol mode. Before, VW2016, you could double-click to edit a symbol and you would get the orientation in which the symbol was created. This is the only way it should work. Why would you want to work on a symbol that was angled? I was told this was fixed by invoking the Top/Plan view to return to the correct view. The one screen-shot shows this. When I go to front view, however, it is wrong. It uses the placed view instead, angled rather than flat. Has this bug been fixed for VW2017?

Thanks,

MHBrownFront view incorrect.png

Top:Plan view.png

Thanks, Kevin, that works. However, it means I can't edit symbols from my layout. I have to find an open space, go to the Resource Browser, find the symbol in the list, drag it into my drawing, make the changes, go back to the layout and see how it looks. In the previous versions, the symbol would go to the orientation in which it was designed right away--usually a useful (and carefully chosen) orientation that made navigating with the number pad easy. I can't imagine a situation where you would want to edit an object looking at skewed orthographic projections. Certainly that should NOT be the default. That is why, even if it is as designed to work that way I label it a "bug." A "bug" is not always an error in math; it can also be an error in judgement by the programmer (I imagine it was an error in the programming, but it was left as is). Thanks for the workaround, but I hope it is fixed someday.

MHBrown

I agree with MH Brown - something's not quite right. If I edit a symbol from the resource manager, the edit window starts with the drawing's view orientation (eg some flyover or left/right, etc). Switching the view of the edit window to Top Plan (for instance) shows the symbol with insertion point at 0,0.   Seems like earlier versions presented Top/Plan automatically, or the symbol's creation view. 

What's really strange to me is editing in the design layer a symbol which was placed in a rotated position - Show other objects is enabled.

•If the DL view is flyover, the symbol edit window presents that same view.  As expected.

•If I switch the edit window to Top/Plan, the view rotates so that the symbol is unrotated.The plan view rotates.

•If I switch to Top view, the plan rotation returns to normal and the symbol is shown in the rotated position at which it was placed.

Wait, OK, that was for a symbol imported directly from a v2015 file without first importing the file to v2017 (How did it do that without saving the file in v2017?).

Now I've updated to v2017, then imported and placed the symbol from the file via the Resource Manager.

Still kinda weird for the symbol edit from the Design Layer - Show other objects is enabled:

•Switch the edit view to Top/Plan - View rotates so that symbol is ordinal, but view menu indicates Top/Plan.

•Switch the edit view to Top - View rotates to expected top view, but view menu indicates Rotated Top View with the rotation angle equal to the amount of rotation of the symbol.

This is not optimal for me.

Top/Plan is my home view, my safety view to relieve confusion or disorientation when drawing and viewing get crazy.

The Top Plan choice in the View Menu should always present the unrotated Top/Plan view.

If I want a rotated Top/Plan view I will do that manually.

If a view is rotated, even in the Symbol Definition, the view menu should indicate Rotated.

If a view matches the unrotated Top or Top Plan view, the drawing menu should NOT indicate Rotated.

(sound of an infant crying - waaaaaaa)

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
More research
16 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

This is not optimal for me.

Top/Plan is my home view, my safety view to relieve confusion or disorientation when drawing and viewing get crazy.

The Top Plan choice in the View Menu should always present the unrotated Top/Plan view.

If I want a rotated Top/Plan view I will do that manually.

If a view is rotated, even in the Symbol Definition, the view menu should indicate Rotated.

If a view matches the unrotated Top or Top Plan view, the drawing menu should NOT indicate Rotated.

I agree 100% with all of this. I always switch to Top/Plan view when something unexpected happens. Its the reset position and if I can't rely on that there's a problem.

16 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

(sound of an infant crying - waaaaaaa)

-B

If it concerns Benson enough to have this reaction it must be serious :-)