Bug Reporting? - Surface Hatch Example

Taproot

Question

I'm getting erratic results with the surface hatch (rendered in openGL).  Here's a screenshot of a project where we used the CMU texture that came bundled with VW.  On the front side of the columns, the hatch follows the orientation of the texture. On the side walls, it appears, but rotated 90°.  Is this a known bug, or a nuance of workflow that I'm unaware of?  This behavior isn't isolated, the same condition exists on the chimney, front columns, etc.

Which brings me to the question of error reporting (bug-submitting). 

I have to admit that when I looked at the  method for reporting errors (here), my enthusiasm waned. 

Filling out a 10 item form each time; looking up the last six digits of my license; writing out everything in text (rather than posting images or posting files) seemed cumbersome and ineffective. 

Instead, my vote would be to just designate a forum on this board to bug-submission.

Sometimes perceived bugs are simply user-error, which can be straightened out by other users.

If, instead folks pile on - then it's clearly a bug.  And finally, if the community knows a bug is present we can all post work-arounds and have some confidence that it's being tracked and worked on.

This is already happening - I'm just suggesting that it be supported a little bit better.

[EDIT]  I realize that the "Known Issues" forum exists ... but I perceive that to be for bugs vetted by staff.  Perhaps it could be renamed to "Suspected Bugs & Known Issues" ... or something of the like?

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 9.44.34 AM.png

Edited by Taproot

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That would be Troubleshooting, from there we move over threads to Known that have been confirmed and filed officially as bugs. I will move this thread now.

(The bugsubmit form is on an active list of things we will be upgrading related to the community. It is too limited in it's current form as you mentioned.)