Jonny31

Create animation problem

Question

Hi,

I'm using Vectorworks 2017 Landmark and Renderworks on Mac OS X El Capitan, running on 4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015 model.

I have created a site model and want to output a orbit animation.

I've selected the model, gone through the orbit animation dialog box (Create animation) previewed it in Vectorworks and saved the movie.

The problem occurs when saving the movie...it seems to 'go through the motions' showing each frame it renders, but when it's finished the result .mov file is 0kb and doesn't work?

Is there something we are doing wrong here or is it a glitch with the vwx 2017 software? There seems to be no other 'save as' file type for animation other that .mov?

Cheers

Jonny

7 answers to this question

Hi JimW,

I just began attempting to create a move along path animation and am having the same difficulty Jonny31 describes. I am using a 5k iMac. Does this affect saving an .mov file somehow?

Thanks!

PonyB

@PonyB

If I recall correctly (I don't have a 5k to check for sure), if you reduce your window size down to a portion of the screen, maybe around half(?), the video should export.

Jim might be able to verify this ahead of time, but give that a try. I know it's being looked into here, but for now resizing the window should(?) work.

34 minutes ago, MarissaF said:

If I recall correctly (I don't have a 5k to check for sure), if you reduce your window size down to a portion of the screen, maybe around half(?), the video should export.

This is correct^

There are features in the pipe already to address this annoyance.

Thanks very much! I'll try reducing the window size.

A related question please - 

Often when I'm in the edit path animator, the arched line connecting one saved view to another appears to be flat (see view 8 to view 9 below). When I raise one of the "beads" the line drops below the bottom edge of the graph. What does this mean? What did I do when saving view 8 (or view 9) to cause this?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2017-05-26 08.09.13.png

Screenshot 2017-05-26 08.09.26.png

That usually means Vectorworks can't figure out a smooth path between the two, so it will often spin the camera or flip the viewer upside down during this transition. Normally this is most easily fixed by adding another saved view in between that forces the path you want the animation to take.