Graphics card good enough?

Bas Vellekoop

Question

Since today I got the problem that you see on the screen, the curves of the blue line should go smoothly as the orange line.

This is only with objects in 3d space (not screen-plane), and in this case it is a polygon.

The 2d conversion resolution is set to very high. Changing this setting doesn't affect the difference between the orange and the blue line.

Is it time for a better graphics card, would that help?

Or is something else going wrong?

videocard.jpg

18 answers to this question

Strange.

For me the Extruded Polyline shows roundness according to my OpenGL Detail Setting.

It is independent from the VW Pref "3D conversion" settings, that was at "high" settings

when I started. That will influence LOD when you convert Geometry.

Like converting a curved Solid into a Mesh object.

Oh,

and yes, very high may not be enough for sharper corners or curves.

Maybe that deviation distance of the resulting edges from original curve is dependent from

the overall size of the object ?

(Yes, looks like it is)

So if you try to build only that part of your one way street seen on screen, rounding level

should be much better.

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

Oh,

and yes, very high may not be enough for sharper corners or curves.

Maybe that deviation distance of the resulting edges from original curve is dependent from

the overall size of the object ?

(Yes, looks like it is)

So if you try to build only that part of your one way street seen on screen, rounding level

should be much better.

I don't think that is it.

I'm working on this for quite some time, and never had this problem.

Today is started working on it again and got this result.

2 things that maybe have something to do with it(?):

- deleted several layers with geometry (but nothing on this specific layer)

- updated to SP2

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I think it may be a display issue rather than a geometry issue. When I convert this to a polygon it has the same issue, but if I then extrude the polygon, the resulting extrude is nice and smooth as expected.

I also tried scaling the object up significantly (100x) just in case being at 4000% zoom was causing it, but it appears exactly the same after scaling and after being imported into another file, regardless of the 2D or 3D conversion res.Same issue regardless of the Navigation Graphics setting as well. Submitting this now to see whats happening.

I made a bubbelish Polyline and extruded it.

It worked fine according to OpenGL roundness quality settings.

But I looked closer to a part of that quite large Polyline Extrude.

When at a part with a much smaller radius vertex, it looked too coarse.

So I drew a much smaller, similar bubbelish thing beside that problematic area,

and the rounding was much finer although the radius even smaller.

That is why I think the deviation value depends on the size of the object.

Nice Booth :)

Maybe my assumption was not 100% correct anyway.

At least not so noticeable in my screen shot.

Right Object is about 10 times smaller.

Deviation looks max 2 times coarser for the bigger one, if not just

because of geometry differences only.

Screenshot-34.jpg

Edited by zoomer

I have also been experiencing what I think is the same problem.

I have a Floor object created from a circle. Each time I open the file the Floor reverts back to a Low 3D conversion resolution even though my pref is set to 'High' (Vectorworks > Preferences… 3D Pane > 3D Conversion Resolution). Entering and exiting the object sorts out the Low conversion res bug. But each time I open the file the glitch comes back.

Floors have been behaving very strangely for me for a few versions now especially in 3D, the majority of the time I end up using a Slab object instead these days. I am not sure if any new bugs will be accepted related to floors however, I think Floors are slated to be moved to legacy but if you can get me a sample file where that happens I will give it a shot.

Now of course if it ends up being the same issue as polylines, then it'll probably be fixed regardless of the status of the Floor object.

Confirmed here, the same issue represents on each file open. Submitting this one now, but it DOES seem to be different from the polyline issue, so we will see how they pan out.

EDIT: Good news! The techs already caught the bug related to Floors specifically (it seems to be just with floors) and a fix is planned. VB-137475