Weather Analysis Tools

On 29/11/2016 at 1:25 PM, sbarrett said:

Hello All - 

I have been working on some weather analysis graphs in Marionette and here is the first - a Wind Rose. This Wind Rose downloads weather data from the internet and builds a graph (it saves the data to your User Folder). Once it downloads the data, the information is available offline, but every time you run it, it must go to the internet to find the latitude and longitude of the location you type in. So when using this, always make sure you have a valid internet connection!

Here is a quick video to show you how it works.

(File will be in the next post)

Love This!

I loved it! But I only managed to use the path of the sun. The others, all attempts the vectorworks stops responding.
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 1/27/2017 at 9:32 AM, sbarrett said:

the first time you use the tool it can take up to a couple minutes to update - this is because it has several things it has to download first that it will never have to download again. There will likely be dialog boxes that pop up asking you to install a Python library, press OK when these pop up. If you internet connection is spotty, the definition can time out.

I would suggest that before you change anything on the object, that you right-click and select convert to wrapper node. Then you can change all of the parameters that you like and then run the definition after you have done this - I would recommend using an American address first time you run it (because it is an American website) and that you make the time period as small as possible. After you have made all of these changes, run the wrapper node.

I hope that helps!

@Henrique Lauerdid you try this?

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 7:00 AM, sbarrett said:

Hello All! Here are the rest of the Weather Analysis Tools I have been working on. These have the same caveats as the Wind Rose - all of them access the internet every time the network is run. These are also a lot newer than the Wind Rose, so there may still be some kinks - I would call these beta versions. Please let me know if you have any issues!

WeatherAnalysis-Precipitation-161221.vwx

WeatherAnalysis-Psychrometrics-161221.vwx

WeatherAnalysis-SolarPath-161221.vwx

WeatherAnalysis-Temperature-170125.vwx

Is there any new updated 2019 version for all the above files? I downloaded the 2019 Wind, but can not find the update for the rest. Please advise.

• 6 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 hours ago, jpccrodrigues said:

Just one situation to report: the precipitation chart doesn't work for my location. I attach the file so you can see if it is something from my location (absense of data?) or

Yes, unfortunately the precipitation data can be incorrect - these weather stations will often report precipitation as 0 when they should be reporting it as "missing" or "unavailable." It only seems to be true of the precipitation data. I haven't been able to figure out a solution.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 12/21/2016 at 10:00 AM, sbarrett said:

Hello All! Here are the rest of the Weather Analysis Tools I have been working on. These have the same caveats as the Wind Rose - all of them access the internet every time the network is run. These are also a lot newer than the Wind Rose, so there may still be some kinks - I would call these beta versions. Please let me know if you have any issues!

WeatherAnalysis-Precipitation-161221.vwx

WeatherAnalysis-Psychrometrics-161221.vwx

WeatherAnalysis-SolarPath-161221.vwx

WeatherAnalysis-Temperature-170125.vwx

Hi Sarah,

Are these tools available to download for Vectorworks 2021? The links don't seem to be working for me. Is there another place I can find weather analysis scripts?

• 1 month later...

Hello, I just stumbled upon these tools, and seem very interesting. I downloaded the files and tried using the WindRose first. After changing the location, I get a message to install  "python module geopy" but after accepting I get an error message, is there a workaround to install this module? Thanks!

image.thumb.png.9411cdcc6e4238eaf78779806e6f3361.png

• 6 months later...

Hello Sarah:

First to all, very great job.

I want tell you what I am doing. I am an architect in Chile. The project is a little house in the Chiloe Island.

For Chile, VectorWorks have only 3 cities, not to much representative to a country with the Atacama Desert in the North and the Antartica at south.

Then, when can find the XML files for other locations? I mean not default locations. I am using ENERGOS. Lotate the project in Chiloe but the analysis is made with Santiago, 1347 Km North.

Or, there a choice to export the data contained in Marionette to an XML file?

I want lear Marionette but my time is not to much now

Best regards