Future of CAD?

Art V

CAD blogger Ralph Grabowski has an interview with the Bricscad CEO on his blog. Apart from the CEO's talk on his own dwg based CAD program it also contains his perspective on the future of CAD and how it may change. It also mentions BIM/IFC future (his perspective) and interoperability vs a move to cloud and open vs closed formats/systems, increasing regulations pressure etc.

The article can be found at http://www.upfrontezine.com/2016/11/erik-de-keyser-on-the-future-of-bricscad.html

Even though it does not address Vectoworks directly (except for the BIM part) of what he says aligns with things I've seen/read over the past year or two.

@JimW I'm a bit curious how Vectorworks thinks the CAD/BIM market will develop and how it may affect VW users given that a lot of VW users are small offices sometimes working in multiple disciplines.

• Like 2

Their videos about BIM are quite interesting.

I really liked their previous BIM-light because being faster and more flexible.

But they take BIM really serious and develop in great steps.

Giving control over the BIM Model with their flexible Object Manager and Live Sections

looks nice. Even more impressing is the roadmap to 2018. I think at that time I will have

to jump on the train too.

Of course I will test the new release again when the mac OS version is ready. So far I had

problems with their ACAD-like ergonomics as I still prefer a Microstation workflow of fast

automated mind clicking very simple operations over more complex tool access that requires

lots of concentration.