We use Vectorworks quite heavily in the office for 2D drawing, but are just really starting to get to grips with Landmark / Renderworks, and while I am loving it so far I'm not quite sure of the full extent of it's capabilities.

I am looking to do some visualisations for a wind farm planning application, for which the levels of accuracy required by technical guidance for visualisation (published by SNH) is quite precise, and I'm not sure if it's something that can be achieved in Vectorworks or if I need to look at bespoke wind energy software (such as Resoft Windfarm / WindPro etc.) 

I need to be able to match a wireframe view of OS terrain information (for an area of up to 80km of Terrain50 contour shapefiles or DTM grid) with a panorama photograph, to an exact bearing direction and field of view. The wireframe needs to match the cylindrical projection of the panorama photograph (- i.e. NOT be in standard equirectangular / planar perspective as per a single standard photograph,) and the model will also need to account for the curvature of the earth and atmospheric refraction.

My current feeling is this is beyond the realms of Vectorworks capability at present, (much as I would love this not to be the case!!) but I would appreciate the thoughts of users with more experience and expertise!!

If you can get the contour drawing for the area you can certainly produce the 3D model. If you have a panoramic photo with a few things in it you can measure you can use VW photomatch which will match your model to your photo. With your 3D model you can walk around the model and view from anywhere.

Also you can generate your 3d model of your wind tower without the ground and export as a KML file and the resultant file will open in Google earth and you will fly automatically to your site and look around it in Google earth as your presentation. Much easier than trying to build the world again. HTH

LOL I placed one in the street outside my house. Got the co-ordinates off google earth and the levels.  So the image is how it appears in Google Earth. As soon as you double click the file you fly to the spot. 

Only export the tower not any site model.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell

UnZip file and Click on this file and it will take you just outside of Las Vegas  where I placed a few wind turbines as a test.

Only small file but had to Zip as Forum did not like the .kml file format.

Picked co-ordinated from google earth Bottom right of screen Longitude and Latitude and height. Sits nicely in the landscape on the screen shot from google earth .

Wind turbine-01.zip

Wind turbine.vwx

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Thank you! 

I think this is really useful in terms of consultation events etc, but the technical visualisation requirements for planning for wind farm developments have pretty stringent requirements in terms of visual projection - I'm pretty sure I could model a turbine and set them on a site model, but in terms of visual output to line up on top a photo which can be verified to within 1 degree of accuracy.... I'm not sure. I will need to have a look at the mathematics of how camera match works.

I think my main problem is that I need to be able to differentiate between cylindrical projection perspective of a 3D view and planar perspective of a 3D view in terms of camera settings, and all the options I can see in Vectorworks are variations of 'perspective' rather than getting to this level of specifics, which would be required for these.

• 3 weeks later...
On November 24, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Alan Woodwell said:

If you can get the contour drawing for the area you can certainly produce the 3D model. If you have a panoramic photo with a few things in it you can measure you can use VW photomatch which will match your model to your photo. With your 3D model you can walk around the model and view from anywhere.

Also you can generate your 3d model of your wind tower without the ground and export as a KML file and the resultant file will open in Google earth and you will fly automatically to your site and look around it in Google earth as your presentation. Much easier than trying to build the world again. HTH

LOL I placed one in the street outside my house. Got the co-ordinates off google earth and the levels.  So the image is how it appears in Google Earth. As soon as you double click the file you fly to the spot. 

Only export the tower not any site model.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Not to hijack the thread here, but Alan can you elaborate on this export.  Im attempting something similar.  I have an extrusion with a 3d symbol.  They extrusion exports into Google earth, the symbol does not show up. Tried converting to a group, that didn't show up either? Is there some limitation to this?

@HEengineeringWhen you export the file you double click on the file and it will open google earth and fly you to the site. Don't go back to vectorworks just go to where you exported the KML file to and double click to open.

make sure you get the coordinates off google earth first and put them in. Height latitude and longitude. In the clip above my stats are not in there, house not big enough for everyone to come for Xmas.:D

if you miss agin I will do a short video.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell