Extrudes export from vectorworks ofr ma3d

Bobka

Hello guys,

happy to join.

I have to isuses exporting from vectorworks.I make extrudes from a 2d plan of a venue so i can have the stage as easy for my videocard as possible.

1. The extrudes are transparent even though i have painted them solid.

2. When i export in the are not in the center - 0x 0y 0z they appear somewhere else and the axis is out of the object(i didn't scale them in vectorworks like it is said in the a.c.t. lighting tutorial)

Can you give me brief directions of how to this the best way?

Edited by Bobka
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

On 11/23/2016 at 1:36 PM, Bobka said:

I know this thread is old but I was just helping a colleague troubleshoot a similar issue to #1 this morning with one of my models.   Some of the geometry imported to MA3D was missing a side or perhaps it was transparent.   For example:  Stage PIO was missing the top deck surface  (I'm not sure if it was missing or invisible).   The frame/legs were all there.   I also tried drawing a simple rectangle and extruding it to be the stage.  Same problem.   I had similar problems with symbols,  which contained, you guessed it,  an extrude.    The problems went away when I converted any of the extrudes to Generic Solids, or Solid Additions etc.       (You may have to use "Convert to Group" for PIOs first)

Basically it seems to like most geometry that isn't a simple extrude. 

2. When i export in the are not in the center - 0x 0y 0z they appear somewhere else and the axis is out of the object(i didn't scale them in vectorworks like it is said in the a.c.t. lighting tutorial)

What I suspect is something similar to when I started exporting my VWX files to Cinema 4D for Lighting/Rendering/Texturing.    If you are setting your own "user" origin (0,0) via mouse click it doesn't necessarily line up to Vectorworks hard coded un-moveable "Internal Origin".    Cinema 4D uses the vectorworks "Internal Origin" as it's world (0,0,0),   I imagine that MA3D does the same.    If you go to "tools -> origin -> locate internal origin"  you should see a blue cross-hair appear that is the documents internal origin.  (this is the one that exports are usually based on)    So I typically line up my DSC with this cross-hair set the User Origin to match it. 

image.thumb.png.7611788bf4a533a7a385ac53a32c4d39.png

Perhaps this will save others a few hours of frustration in the future!   

-W

Edited by Wesley Burrows
clarification
On 23/11/2016 at 5:36 PM, Bobka said:

I have to isuses exporting from vectorworks.I make extrudes from a 2d plan of a venue so i can have the stage as easy for my videocard as possible.

Go to...Modify>Convert>Generic Solid...before exporting to MA. That should do it. I usually save a copy just to export to MA 3D because of this issue.