Altivec

VW2017 TV Screen glow

Ever since 2017, the glows on my TV screen images don't seem to project as much glow as they use to.  I am talking about the subtle lighting you get on the walls, floor and ceiling that gives the appearance that the TV is giving off light.  Pre 2017, I would simply import an image into the color shader, Set my Reflectivity to glow with the emit light check box ticked on and it worked nicely.    Now I can barely see the effect.   I've tried increasing the glow but as soon as you go past 100, the image starts getting washed out.   Has anyone else noticed this?   How are you guys doing your screen textures?

You may now get better results with a Backlit texture for the screen:

Glow was tweaked to correct some volumetric lighting issues and can still sometimes be used for that, but I find Backlit easier to control since it takes its like from a light object. The end result also seems nicer.

Thanks Jim

I tried your suggestion out by just replacing glow with backlight but it resulted in a very washed out image with no glow.    I am going to experiment with it a bit more but I'm a bit confused by your explanation.  When you say it takes its like(light) from a light object.   Does that mean I'm suppose to have a light source behind the screen as per your video example (i.e. place an area light directly behind the screen)? or does backlit sort of work like glow where the texture itself is emitting light?

Backlit textures are designed to receive light from one side and properly distribute it on the other, they do not emit light like Glow does. So for a TV, you'd want to place a light object (a simple point light should be fine) behind the screen face.

(I have not tried putting a Glow texture behind a Backlit texture however... might be worth a try. A single white glowing screen behind the main screen.)

Thanks again Jim...  That makes total sense.   I really like your idea of a white glow behind.  I'll give it a try.

3 hours ago, Altivec said:

Ever since 2017, the glows on my TV screen images don't seem to project as much glow as they use to.  I am talking about the subtle lighting you get on the walls, floor and ceiling that gives the appearance that the TV is giving off light.  Pre 2017, I would simply import an image into the color shader, Set my Reflectivity to glow with the emit light check box ticked on and it worked nicely.    Now I can barely see the effect.   I've tried increasing the glow but as soon as you go past 100, the image starts getting washed out.   Has anyone else noticed this?   How are you guys doing your screen textures?

That was why I went down below 100% for my Glows (and the color texture)

Well, when I look at it, not too much light emitted, but I think quite enough for a daylight scene (?)

Behind the right column, ceiling and bench.

Attached Image.

That was 2016.

MAF_BUNGALOW_2016-08-08-23.10.jpg

3 hours ago, JimW said:

Glow was tweaked to correct some volumetric lighting issues

Oh, 2017 ?

It was working well in 2016 for me.

Should I check that ?

21 hours ago, zoomer said:

Oh, 2017 ?

It was working well in 2016 for me.

Should I check that ?

I don't seem to be having problems with the glows I use with just a simple colour (like your example above)  because upping the glow percentage above 100% would not be an issue in that case.  My problem is when I'm using an image (the source of the glow) and the image itself is an integral part of the scene (like a TV).  If the glow is set too low, you can't see any affect,  If the glow is set too high, the image washes out.  

I've been trying out various things that Jim suggested and although I'm getting close, I'm still not 100% happy.  I'll figure it out.   PS.  I don't think the backlit shader recognizes glows as light sources, well at least I couldn't make it happen.

Yes, so far I recognized the texture being too bright.

Not realized if it could be too less illumination.

For now I just decreased glowing value ....