Covert Fixture in Vision

Hello again,

I was wondering if it possible to convert a fixture in Vision. I would like to do this instead of going back into the VWX file and re-export to ESC. If not no problem.

The challenge is I had two fixtures made (Mac Axiom Hybrid and Versapix-RS) by the great workers of Vision, but have no idea how to apply the information in VWX so was wondering if there is a way to add it in Vision instead. Is it possible to update the VWX file system with the new fixtures in Vision that I am unaware of?

Thanks again!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi there! I'm Edward, one of the guys who work on Vision, and I'd be happy to help.

When your fixture request was completed, you should have received VWX symbols once the request was complete. To update the list of available fixtures when setting a fixture mode, you just need to open Vision and run Help>Check for updates. This will populate the list with your new fixtures (be sure to have your dongle in when you run the updater).

As for converting, unfortunately there is no way to convert a fixture to another inside Vision. You could delete it and add the fixture via the add  instrument tool on the tollbar, but keep in mind; you'd have to reposition the fixture using the properties window of that fixture. I often find it's much easier to just swap in Vectorworks, and re-export.

Hope that helps!

I have the physical drawings of the fixtures but am having issues with the Fixture Mode. I have run the update multiple times but VWX still doesn't see the fixture and I can find it in Vision. I have restarted VWX and the computer since the update with no luck. Any other tips or am I missing a step?

When you click on the Fixture Mode drop down and select "Other...", is the dialog populated with Vision Fixtures? If so, are you just not seeing the Ayrton Versapix-RS?

Also, if you could, is it possible for you to get us screenshots of this fixture missing from the VW "Other..." dialog as well as a screenshot of it being properly listed in the Vision application?

This may be a bug, I'm just trying to track things down to figure out if we should open a JIRA ticket or not. We may want to do this regardless just for tracking purposes.

Lastly, is it possible for you to attach all of the files the Vision Team gave you?

I actually decided to call VWX service and talk to them. While working with them, I was downloading the SP2 for Vision. After downloading that and then checking again for updates, it all clicked together. I am not sure what part fixed it, but is now successful. The Ayrton fixture is now there.

On 11/30/2016 at 9:36 AM, bbudzon said:

When you click on the Fixture Mode drop down and select "Other...", is the dialog populated with Vision Fixtures? If so, are you just not seeing the Ayrton Versapix-RS?

Also, if you could, is it possible for you to get us screenshots of this fixture missing from the VW "Other..." dialog as well as a screenshot of it being properly listed in the Vision application?

This may be a bug, I'm just trying to track things down to figure out if we should open a JIRA ticket or not. We may want to do this regardless just for tracking purposes.

Lastly, is it possible for you to attach all of the files the Vision Team gave you?

To answer the questions above, I could not find the fixtures listed anywhere in the list. I checked under Ayrton manufacture as well as down the list in the Versa area to make sure it is just sorting wrong. It was just not updating the library that VWX was using while the Vision library was updating.

Side note, is there a possible way to have Vision run the update without the dongle installed? For work we use one computer (in a roadcase set up all the time) just for Vision while 2 or 3 of the designers will use VWX and create shows that will be put into Vision. Would it be possible for the laptops that we use to update to the most current Vision library without the dongle while keeping the Vision Machine plugged in and updated separably with the dongle installed?

10 hours ago, JFutty90 said:

Side note, is there a possible way to have Vision run the update without the dongle installed? For work we use one computer (in a roadcase set up all the time) just for Vision while 2 or 3 of the designers will use VWX and create shows that will be put into Vision. Would it be possible for the laptops that we use to update to the most current Vision library without the dongle while keeping the Vision Machine plugged in and updated separably with the dongle installed?

Unfortunately, I do not believe it is possible to update Vision content in VWSpotlight without using the Vision Updater while a dongle is plugged in. Reason being is that the content updates are paid for and we need a way to verify that the person asking for the update has paid. Luckily, Vision does have a dongle system. This allows you to install Vision onto as many machines as you like because, unless the dongle is plugged in, it will not update and will only run in demo mode.

My recommendation then for your work would be to install Vision on all of your VW machines and "share" the dongle to get content updates into VW.

Again, the main advantage of a dongle is that only one non-demo copy of Vision can be running at any given time. So, we don't have to worry as much about pirating because you own a more "physical" license to our software. Product keys are obviously a different story because they are essentially virtual dongles. Being virtual, simply using one product key on two systems “duplicates” the license and, if we didn’t check for it, would allow you to run two copies with one key. With the dongle (physical license), we don’t mind giving you Vision content for all of your VW machines since the content is useless outside of Vision. One dongle still allows you to only run one copy of Vision, which is our main concern in licensing.

Lastly, we do realize this can be improved and we are looking into ways in which we can streamline this process in the future.

Hopefully this helps!

Edited by bbudzon