2d/3d symbol

I have a symbol that came from autocad that I have edited.  I added text (actually text along path), then exited the symbol.  The text disappeared.

Why?  All geometry was 2d and on same layer and class as the text I added.  As a text I went back and added normal text.  It remained after closing the symbol.

So then I started the edit symbol again and selected the 3d option.  The text along path that I had originally created was there. I cannot get it to be visible in a 2d top/plan view.  Any direction would be appreciated.

Wow.  Text along path 3d only.  Hmm.  

Well I will have to make it work as a group.  Not so convenient but least it stays in tact.  It is an engineers seal.  A couple of concentric circles with doodads and text in a curve.  I can't imagine ever needing this as a 3d object.  VW in all its glory and might can't do it.  Hmm.

As it turns out it doesn't work as a group because the title block I need to add it to is a symbol (yes a 2d symbol).  So I have to create a title block for this project.  Guess I must learn there are no shortcuts with VW.  

Happy Friday everyone!

Edited by jmartinarch

Alan that almost worked.  Yes the text became visible after converting symbol to group, but the text along path is still a 3d object. So when I tried to insert it in the title block which is a symbol rather that a sheet border/titleblock then I received this warning.  I think I have to come to grips with the fact that this is not for 2d work and just say uncle.

Screenshot 2016-11-18 14.37.27.png