problems with fonts-EPS (VW 10.1.2)

Pat M

I just upgraded to VW 10.1.2, italian version (sorry for my english guys!), WIN XP, 512 RAM, and I’ve problems with fonts: when I export a file with fonts in EPS format and then I open it with Illustrator 10, the Adobe program changes fonts, like if the font wasn’t installed...BUT IT IS!...and it happens all the times, with every font!

All of that didn’t happen with my old PC, running VW 9.5 and Win 2000!

...other problems: slow printing (HP 500), “runtime error” with Adobe standard 6 installed...

Thanks.

The run time error is addressed by updating to VW 10.5 when creating PDFs.

The other problem is an Illustrator problem. You need to update to the latest version of Illustrator to get it to work. I remember having that problem with another customer several months ago.If you have the latest version of Illustrator for your version number, then you need to contact them. The problem is in Illustrator, not VW.

[ 09-26-2003, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Katie,

thanks for the answer, but I made another test: I exported in EPS from VW 10, then I opened the file in Illustrator 8 and the same problem happened. Isn’t it strange? (I read in the manuals that VW exports in EPS format for Illustrator 8).

About the Runtime error: it occurred with Acrobat 6 installed, even when I tried to open a VW file from the program...I couldn’t open no file from the program. I was able to open it only double clicking on the icon file.

Thanks again.

Pat,

Are you getting the run time error when you have VW open with a file and then try to open a second file?

Are you getting an error message when opening the EPS file in Illustrator?

Have you tried contacting Adobe about the issue or referring to their online knowledge base?

I remember this problem cropped up before and the resolution was by Adobe.

[ 09-29-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Katie,

This is the situation: with Acrobat 6 installed in my PC, if I open a VW file from VW, the program goes "runtime error".

The only file that's open is the default page that appears as I start the program.

As I unistall Acrobat 6, everything works! So I work with VectorWorks, without Acrobat 6...

I sent an email to the Adobe staff, two days ago, and I'm waiting....

the second problem is about the fonts exported as EPS; even with Illustrator 8, they are changed (see my previous message).

Thank you.

katie,

sorry, i forgot to say that, yes I get an error message from Illustrator, like "The document uses fonts or characters wich are not available or are in a different format than originally specified".

Obviously the font used in the VW file is the same that I can use in Illustrator.

Bye

We know about the acrobat problem.

I was under the impression it was fixed for VW 10.5 but it may not be.

What you have to do is after opening VW, set the printer to something other than Distiller in the Print setup menu.

OR, close the default file and then open your document.

This has to be done for each session of VW. If you close VW and open it again, you will need to change the printer before opening an additional file.

The problem occurs only when trying to open more than one file.

You can find other comments about this problem if you do a search for adobe and run time error on the message board.

[ 09-29-2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]