Are there two confusingly slightly different types of section viewport?

I can create a section viewport (either horizontal or vertical) in two ways:

1) via the older "Create 3D viewport" command, drawing a cut line across the model in orthogonal view

2) using the newer method where I select a cut plane on a clip-cube view

Both methods create something called a "section viewport" in its OIP but as far as I can work out they have slightly different properties.

A section viewport created by method (1) has a "section line instances" control button so I can control where the relevant section marker shows up and I can adjust the cut plane of the section by moving one of these markers.

But a section viewport created by method (2) has no "section line instances" control button. So as far as I can work out, once I've created the section I can't adjust the cut plane location.

Another difference: if I create a horizontal (ie plan) section, doors seem to show up differently in the two types. Method (1) the door is drawn closed, method (2), the door is shown open and with a swing line (in neither instance is the door really shown correctly though).

Can anyone clarify?

20 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Both methods create something called a "section viewport" in its OIP but as far as I can work out they have slightly different properties.

But a section viewport created by method (2) has no "section line instances" control button. So as far as I can work out, once I've created the section I can't adjust the cut plane location.

Don't really know.

If it works that way without creating section lines,

I think it was a feature of the clip cube generated sections that the clip cube is saved with the section,

like cameras that are linked to a VP.

And the way to change properties is by going back to the clip cube (by RMB option ?) and edit

the clip cube to edit the sections position and depth (?)

7 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I never really tried but saw something in a video.

Maybe just a feature video when the first time sections by clip cube where released (2014? 2015?)

Yes, here:

http://www.vectorworks.net/training/2016/getting-started-guides/common/section-viewport-from-clip-cube

but what happens in that video doesn't seem to be what happens for me.

It also states that viewports created in this way will have all the normal capabilities. But as far as I can work out that's not true; they are not linked to a section marker.

Hi see attached. I created a section from the rotated clip cube and referenced it back to my plan so it showed up in my plan viewport. If I double click on the viewport it takes me to the Rotated Clipcube section. All referenced both ways.  To get them activated in viewports you have to go section line instances and tick which viewport you want it to show up on and click activate. It helps to have your viewports named with appropriate names. HTH

Clip Cube.jpg

Edited by Alan Woodwell

I find the same thing. I guess there is no item the program can reference to. A vertical section shows on plan but a plan section I guess yo ucan only have a bubble around the whole drawing and this would be a Detail Callout Instance which works the same. What you can do is create and elevation viewport of your plane and cut a section viewport across the elevation and you will get a plan cut at the height you select, and it has Section Line instances.

Capture.JPG

Yes, that's what I describe as "method 1" in my OP.

You can make a plan section from the clip cube ("method 2" in my OP") and it's this that's missing the section line instances button. But that's not the only difference, It also for example renders doors differently where they are cur through by the section plane. This is what my basic question is about: are there two slightly different types of plan section viewport and is this intentional. I'd like to understand what's going on.