Sign in to follow this  
benboggs

Exporting CAD

Question

A little elementary help with exporting to CAD file.....the contours lose their elevation and are all at elevation 0.  I have looked over all the settings/options but for some reason cannot get them to export correctly.  It must be something simple.

EDIT:  Let me take this one step further.  When generating site models - after exporting the drawing set out - even the existing contours have 0 elevation.....I can see this being a huge issue on large sites when I need to send the surveyor a site plan for layout purposes during construction.  

Also - can you assign elevation to polylines?  Reason I ask is when we generate site models (in my limited experience) the contours are choppy and not smooth.  I like to draw nice pretty polylines as a finished product.  We also work in 2D - but like to provide 3D info on contours.  

Thanks

Edited by benboggs

8 answers to this question

(I am assuming by CAD you mean DWG for this response)

Change to a Top view (Not Top/Plan) and then export to DWG, normally when in Top/Plan it'll force things into 2D but in a 3D view it should maintain the z height of objects. Also, make sure "Export as flattened 2D objects" isn't enabled in the DWG export dialog box near the bottom center.

My fault - I can convert 2D poly to 3D ply.....so scratch that.  Initial question still stands as to why site model contours export with 0 elevation.  I even did a test where I drew a 2d poly, converted it to 3d, gave it an elveation of 100' exported and then elevation was 0.  

Thanks

Something else to be aware of in case you are not already.... when editing 3D polygon/polyline nodes in top/plan view the Z value will be set to 0.

I noticed this on several ocassions when trying to extend a 3D polyline and one end ending up on Z=0 instead of the orignal Z-value. When editing in top (=3D) view this does not happen.

Especially if you are trying to make small correction to contour lines this may mess things up if you are not aware of this top/plan vs top view issue.

• Like 1

Hello Guys,

I have the same problem, when exporting in DWG, everything is flat. every item is correctly positionnated in 3D  but every item is in 2D. 

I have tested to export when being in a 3D view or a 2D plot view but it does not change anything. 

Is my export config not ok ? (see picture below). this is the very first time I see it ; is it a new functionality from VW2017 ?

thanks

Tocsin

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 11.26.21.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 11.24.50.png

@Tocsinyou currently have your export configured to only export sheet layers. The "Export" drop down near the top center controls this.