Saving classes colors (like plot styles)?

Hugo

Is there a way I can assign colors to classes, and save that, and switch between "color sets"?

What I want to do is work with a black background, with every class with a different color, but when printing I want to set the white background and most of the classes black and a few with color.

Actually when I have to print I wait until the drawing is finished and then I go to the classes window and change all the colors to black, but this is very slow, and if I want to have a print preview in the middle I have to change all the colors in order to print and then again to continue working.

I've tried with sheets but no success. Is there any way to do this?

Thank you.

Hugo

VWA 10.5

Mac OS X 10.2.8

768 MB of ram

There are a few of ways I do this, but none are totally flawless.

One way is to create a new file and workgroup reference the drawing to it. Change all the class settings in the new file to black. This works very well, but you have to wait for the reference to update in the new file. Also, every time you create a new class, you'll have to remember to set it to black in the new file.

There's also the "Black & White Only" setting in Document Preferences. This works pretty well for me, although I guess it doesn't for everyone (fills default to white).

To make the thing simple, I want to draw with some colors on the screen, and print with others. This others are not only black, I want some color hatches, so black and white only is not useful for me in this case.

Any idea?

I tried that thing of the workgroup but couldn't figure it out. It seems complex for what I need.

The workgroup reference is the only way I know of to do what you're talking about. It's not really that complicated. It's worth learning anyhow, because it has other uses.

-Start a new file. (If you already have sheets and stuff set up that you want to keep, then save a duplicate of your file, and delete all layers)

-Go to Organize > Worgroup References

-Use the "New" button to add the file you're working with

-Select the layers you'll want to print (could be all of them)

-Edit your classes so that they're the colors you want them to be

Obviously, this'll only work if your attributes are all set by class.

Good luck!

Have you tried to use "Layer Colors"? If you are only using 3 colors this might be helpful. I have use this when I want a base/demo plan grey, and text black. Also when I wanted to show a smoke compartment as orange I put the lines one a seperate layer.

I think there is also a plug-in on Vector-Bits that does what your are talking about when you have several colors. I haven't tried it but it look useful on the demo movie if you need this frequently.