Vectorworks Design Summit - 2017

• 1 month later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 minutes ago, Christian Fekete said:

Can I still get discounted tickets for this event?

You should contact your sales rep directly, I do know they are running all kinds of promotions but I do not have a list in front of me. If you don't have a specific rep, sales@vectorworks.net is the fastest route to one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2017 at 4:26 PM, JimW said:

A little snippet of the rendering presentation I'm working on for the Summit.

Jim, I can't wait, that looks amazing,

Qu: Would you please address the lighting setup as part of the overall production drawing process. In other words, what do you do with your lighting setup for all the other viewports, do you turn the lights off? the light layer, create them in another file? create a basic rendeworks openGL and how do lights affect this rendering. Am I making this overly complicated?

Thank you

8 minutes ago, Christian Fekete said:

Would you please address the lighting setup as part of the overall production drawing process. In other words, what do you do with your lighting setup for all the other viewports, do you turn the lights off? the light layer, create them in another file? create a basic rendeworks openGL and how do lights affect this rendering. Am I making this overly complicated?

I may not understand your question, no. Depending on what part I'm working on, I may do it differently. Though to test my light angles and shadows I often turn off all but the lights im focusing on so that I can see them accurately in OpenGL.

In these sample renders, theres just one light so its no issue. For something like a home interior (which will be a demo case for a large part of my presentation) I usually leave all the lights on for renderings so that it's more accurate even though it takes longer. 

2 hours ago, Christian Fekete said:

That was a quick answer, thank you Jim. My question had to do with whether or not having all these lights on at all time in the model would affect the efficiency of the modeling development process and if so, what would be the best way to handle those.

Having the lights all on at the same time will increase rendering time overall, yes. If you have any scenes where their respective lights are not intended to interact (Like rendering the downstairs bathroom only, even though you have a kitchen a few rooms away with many lights in it), then turning off the lights in the opposite scene when rendering the other may save some time. GENERALLY if the light doesnt have a presence in the scene then it being on or off wouldn't matter, but thats very specific to what you have as a scene. For instance, a lot of the models I've been making are fully fleshed out buildings or sets of rooms, not separate files per room, so light control might factor into it.

• 1 month later...

For those who aren't able to make it to this year's Summit, we’ll be streaming each keynote live on Facebook at 9am ET Tuesday and Wednesday!

Tuesday 9/19: Our CEO, Dr. Biplab Sarkar, kicks off the event. 

Wednesday 9/20: Brad Cloepfil of Allied Works Architecture on ‘The Art of Making’

https://www.facebook.com/Vectorworks/

• Like 1

@Wesley BurrowsI was wondering when I'd see you on the Forum.  It was a pleasure to meet you prior to the event.

This is another thing I enjoy about the Summits; it is being able to meet random fellow users like Wes.  Usually happens when you sit beside someone at a break-out session or standing at a booth listening to the presenter on a topic, function or product.  Or at the bar at the hotel.

Edited by Markvl
  • Like 1