Importing DWG from other sources - Lines move everywhere!

JYA

Hi there,

All of the staff in our office is encountering this issue, when we import dwgs from a supplier to the VW file.  The dwg file is likely to have been created from a programme other than VW.

When we import these DWG into our drawings, rotate it and move it to where we want it, then we are done for the day, we save the file and shut down.  The next day when we re open the file, the DWG will have rotated itself back to its original state.

This is a real problem for us, because a lot of time is spent having to re do things.

We have tried ungrouping the polygons, exploding the symbol, and putting the lines into new classes, to no avail.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Additional to this issue is the fact that once the polygons have been regrouped, when we double click into edit the group, all of the lines are suddenly locked and we cannot edit anything unless we ungroup it again.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else have also experienced this, and have any tricks up their sleeves they can suggest!

Thank you for your advice in advance :)

Hello JYA,

I can't address the specifics of the spontaneous rotation, but if I interpret your description correctly, you are importing directly from the DWG source into your VW design file. If so, you should only import a DWG file into a new blank VW file. Then review the object(s), adjust or clean up as as needed and only then cut and paste it into the VW design file. Also be sure to review the class list that came with the DWG import and take the time to sort it out so it doesn't introduce a large number of new, oddly named classes in the destination VW file.

Hope this helps,

Bob

22 hours ago, JYA said:

When we import these DWG into our drawings, rotate it and move it to where we want it, then we are done for the day, we save the file and shut down.  The next day when we re open the file, the DWG will have rotated itself back to its original state.

When you say import, are you talking about a full import as @RGyoriis talking about or as a referenced drawing (i.e. use it as an underlay). If the latter then this could explain the rotation issue as the reference gets reloaded based on the original settings. In that case you'll need to either fix the dwg file by making sure it is rotated correctly in there before import, or as @RGyorisuggested, import it in a blank VW file, fix everything as needed and then reference to that file from your main drawing.

One suggestion for importing dwg files, use the prefix option when importing dwg files by assigning a prefix to each imported dwg file, e.g. dwg1, dwg2, main plan, interior plan or whatever is meaningful so that you can switch dwg classes on/of for each imported dwg file. This will be useful if multiple dwg files have the same names for layers/classes but with different kind of content. You may want to turn of class/layer name1 for the first imported dwg file but not for the second imported dwg file.

Hi Bob and Art V,

Thank you so much for your responses.

Yes I am talking about a direct import of a DWG file into a VW file.

We do make the effort in importing the DWGs into a blank file, and at the time of import, we add a prefix to the file eg. Import- blah blah.

We also make the effort in exploding all the symbols and groups.

None of the above seems to solve the issue :(

Are the other ways we can look into cleaning up the lines/text of the imported files?

12 hours ago, JYA said:

Hi Bob and Art V,

Thank you so much for your responses.

Yes I am talking about a direct import of a DWG file into a VW file.

We do make the effort in importing the DWGs into a blank file, and at the time of import, we add a prefix to the file eg. Import- blah blah.

We also make the effort in exploding all the symbols and groups.

None of the above seems to solve the issue :(

Are the other ways we can look into cleaning up the lines/text of the imported files?

Hmm... by "direct import of a DWG" do you use the file menu import DWG function or do you literally cut and paste from one file to the other? The reason I ask is I always do the latter as a means of assuring myself that I will be transferring only the specific object(s), nothing else. Perhaps posting the offending file or the source of the DWG download might help in trouble shooting.

Regarding cleaning up of lines and text, if you haven't already, try the Visibility Tool (V). I'm just learning myself how powerful the tool can be:D.

Bob

courtesy of the inestimable Jim...

Hi Bob,

Wow, that visibility tool looks pretty handy. Can definitely see it as a fast way to manage what is wanted and unwanted in a drawing.  Thank you for the tip!

OK how to explain.. I have my main vectorworks file for the project, lets call it the 'Main File'.

When I need a DWG imported to the Main File, I normally open a Blank File, and import the DWG into the Blank File.

When the import dialogue comes up, I will give a prefix in front of the class (eg. "Import-"), so that all the imported classes will have a title such as "Import-Window Joinery".

Still working in the Blank File, I will do everything I can to explode the groups and symbols.  

Once I have done that I will then copy and paste it into my Main File.  

It seems if I paste the lines as it is, there isn't an issue.

But if I rotate these lines in the Main File, and then I save and close the Main File, the next time I reopen this file, the imported lines will have moved all over the place.

Not sure what is going wrong there, as other people in the office are having the same issues, in different files.

:S:S

On 21/11/2016 at 7:07 AM, JYA said:

It seems if I paste the lines as it is, there isn't an issue.

But if I rotate these lines in the Main File, and then I save and close the Main File, the next time I reopen this file, the imported lines will have moved all over the place.

Not sure what is going wrong there, as other people in the office are having the same issues, in different files.

:S:S

This is odd at first sight as it should not happen.

Are the objects from the imported dwg file 2D or 3D objects and are you in the same view when reopening the files when it looks like it is all over the place? Are you pasting in layer plane or screen plane?

The "problem" with AutoCAD and compatibles is that it is easy to put 2D objects in 3D space and it will look ok at first until you change views etc. and then find the objects are all over the place. This could be the case with your imported drawing and depending on which plane you are pasting things may go all over the place.

Edited by Art V