Extrude along non planar path NURBS

I am new to Landmark, and am having issues with the 'Extrude along Path' tool. I am trying to run an extruded box along an undulating ground line (to form a simple hedge following topography).

I have drawn an NURBS curve path which varies in Z height (it is sent to the surface of a site model which varies in height, and then converted from 3D poly to NURBS curve). I then created a 3D polygon rectangle (as a section of the hedge) at one corner of the NURBS curve path, and selected both objects before trying to extrude along path.

The NURBS curve highlights correctly as the path object and the polygon highlights correctly as the object to extrude, but I get an invalid path or profile object error message. 

Am I missing something straightforward in terms of how this tool works, or is there a better way of doing this? 

Thanks,

Lisa

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 15.30.16.png

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately I can't get either of those options to work? All the instructions I had seen have said to use an NURBS curve as the path, so I thought that might be it, but I've tried both as 3D polys too now and the same error message occurs. And the Loft tool with both objects as NURBS is giving me an error mesage too?!! Argh.

Is there a more straightforward way than this to make a hedge that follows the terrain? It seems like a fairly basic requirement?! 

25 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Extrude Along Path will only work with a polygon/polyline as the path.

After some testing I can confirm this is not actually true. EAP works just fine with a NURBS curve as the path and in fact still converts any path object to a NURBS curve if its not. (Edit the Path object after creation and you will see this. Long ago VW used to convert the Profile object too but thankfully doesn't in newer versions.)

1 hour ago, lisag said:

I then created a 3D polygon rectangle (as a section of the hedge)

If you are creating the "3D polygon" rectangle with the 3d Polygon tool this may be the issue. I believe the profile can only be a 2d polyline, 2D polygon or NURBS shape (it can also be a circle, square, oval etc., those tools create compatible shapes). Alternately, it could just be a question of geometry. I would try creating the rectangle you want to use as a 2d shape on the ground plane and running the command again. VW will auto-orient the shape during creation if creation is possible. That will give you a sense of what works. They you can select the resulting EAP and edit the Profile object to adjust its orientation. It may fail when you do because it creates self intersections.

@lisagyou could also post a file here containing just the two curves you are working with and one of us may be able to troubleshoot it.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
About file posting
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The path looks like it has around 600+ vertices, that may be causing the issue. When I redraw the path shape with the polygon tool (I just traced the NURBS in Top/plan view since it's effectively flat) the extrude completes as expected:

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 12.37.44 PM.png

(Attached an older version export since this file seems like it might be from 2014/2015)

Test v2014.vwx

• Like 1
  • Marionette Maven

Another method, aside from Jim's, would be with the path object selected, go to Model > 3D Power Pack > Rebuild NURBS...

You can keep the same number of vertices.

Only issue I ran into was when using your profile shape as-is, the orientation is skewed following the path, but this can be remedied by either drawing your rectangle in Top/Plan or editing your Profile position after you've generated your EAP.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, JimW said:

After much deliberation it seemed to be the proper course of action for the betterment of the community as a whole.

The bribery and threats were completely circumstantial.

Lol, I was originally going to include a comment in my original post about how you must be enjoying having control over your own empire...... though I am disappointed that your title is still just "Forum Administrator".......

7 minutes ago, lisag said:

Thank you!! This is perfect. I have a lot more to do, but I can at least understand where I was going wrong with this and apply to the others.

Glad to help. Don't hesitate to post again if you have more issues.

Kevin

• Marionette Maven
3 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Lol, I was originally going to include a comment in my original post about how you must be enjoying having control over your own empire...... though I am disappointed that your title is still just "Forum Administrator".......

Right?! Marionette Maven totally takes the cake on "Coolest Forum Title."

• Like 1