Joost_R

Forest in Vectorworks

Is it possible to model a forest in vectorworks and render it with renderworks?

I have tried with putting some 3D trees, but the file is getting heavier...

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest using Image Props instead. Actual 3D trees are going to bog down the file real fast, especially anything that look fairly realistic. I'm not sure which version of VW you're using, but there's a decent amount of pre-made Image Prop trees in the resource libraries, or you can make you're own.

How about some 3d trees at front? and use props for the ones on the back create a forest background from a picture. Think Disney movie layers.

• Like 1

I took some time to better illustrate the process of creating a scene by layers of vegetation. vbvisuals at front with all those 3d leaves, right behind them a series of props, these are lighter and render faster. The background is a HDRI panorama just a bit blur and out of focus. I also added some grass, that took some time to render (use a render style) and a small pond just for reflection.

forest_by_layers.jpg

I am using VW16. Too bad there's not an function in vectorworks that generates a forest (for if you want to do an aerial view of the design) or something simular but this will do fine:) Thanks for the help!

Hi, This Marionette Network creates a random forest using image props and 5 different props.

Use the walk through tool to wonder around. Apologies for the rough Symbols should clean them up to get rid of white and decals.

Capture.JPG

Random_Planting_IProp_001_v2017.zip

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • Like 1

Let me ask.

So the caveat is that the road is done in photoshop.  I exported the 2D road from VW as a PDF, then "bent" it into place with photoshop's transform tools.  I was simply not able to get the road to follow the topography cleanly and I had to give up and do it in post processing.