error -54

ant

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by ant:

i have some students which have had the computer crash and then there VW files are corrpet and comes up with error -54. can you tell me what this error is???

www.appleerrorcodes.com lists this as:

-54 permErr Software lock on file; Not a subscriber [permissions error on file open]

My uneducated guess would be that due to the crash, the Windows server still thinks the files are in use and thus won't let you write to them, or possibly even read them. You might try copying the files and opening the copy instead, or try to figure out how to break the software lock on the server.

Is the computer (i.e. the operating system) really crashing, or is it just VectorWorks?

• 5 months later...

We have had this problem since upgrading to OSX. All machines are running Vectorworks 10.5.1 under OS X 10.3.2.

Machines are connecting to a G4 file server running AppleShare IP 6 under OS 9.2.2.

This problem had never occured before when using VW9 under OS9 but has now happened around 5 times over the period of 6 weeks. As with the original post, this occurs after VW unexpectedly quits and when the user tries to re-open fiel they get an error -54 File is in use. The problem seems to clear on it's own after about 2 days but have not tried re-starting server when this happens.

This does not happen in any other App so appears to be a VectorWorks only problem.

Please advise what we can do.