3d, push buttons & motion

digitalcarbon

Question

here is a door that i want to model and add to a project.  what i need to do is have a button on the side of the door that i click/push and the door slides open while I'm in fly thru mode with the space navigator.  basically its a symbol with added motion rails that i connect to the door then some how link to the 3d button.   so when i click the button it know which objects in the 3d symbol to move and how far and fast to move them.

this could be used for many things. 

Door Detail Standard Wide Octagonal.jpg

22 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Normally assets for something like Unreal or Cryengine are built in a dedicated 3D modeling application like 3DS or Blender, then the geometry is textured, rigged in the modeler and then exported out to the engine in order to display realtime renders and give user interaction. It is by no means a simple process.

• Like 1
Just now, digitalmechanics said:

ok, so are you saying that if i got those gaming programs i could build a utility plant, fly thru and have things moving to show how things would work?

Yeah - you're going to need an animation modeler.  A gaming engine would be best because they are designed for interactivity, though you could use something like Max and fake it.  

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, digitalmechanics said:

ok, so are you saying that if i got those gaming programs i could build a utility plant, fly thru and have things moving to show how things would work?

Yes.

You should export your project by FBX into Unreal or Unity.

(Free or cheap if you don't earn half a billion with it)

I think these are the right tools for wishes like that or similar I think you had mentioned in the past.

Not sure if you would like to deal with these kind of workflows.

I doubt I would and it may not be very easy.

But I think Alan or Pat would have great fun.

Attached is a Unity3D game test I set up a while ago. I was the white ship in the game. All set from scratch, So its pretty easy and you can set up weapons cool-downs and on the other level doors can open close lights can be turned on etc etc. One issue I did have with the FBX model being imported were you could see through the back of some wall so you needed to set up the file correctly.

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

"One issue I did have with the FBX model being imported were you could see through the back of some wall so you needed to set up the file correctly"

Alan,  when this happens reverse the normals

Edited by JuanCarlos

Yes that's what I had to do but would have been nice for the normals to correct themselves but nice not to have to do this but the crossover from VW to Unity is something that is not expected. Just pushing the limits to see how the program performs. Was walking Clients around their houses 5 years ago using Unity3D.

Hopefully VW will head that way and be able to use the likes of HTC VIVE.

Edited by Alan Woodwell
7 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

but would have been nice for the normals to correct themselves

I ask for correct Extrudes Export since 2014.

Bump !

Flipped Faces may not be so obvious and many users won't even notice in their life.

But for me too there are so many situations where it is a problem and I have to correct that manually.

I remember I mentioned that in a other CAD some decades ago.

It also meant 4 month of conversation until they understood what I really meant but then it was fixed with

the next SP.

Don't understand if it would really be so hard to fix this (flip direction of initial Polyline extruded ?) or

just given no priority at all.

Sorry for Off Topic.

• Like 1

Off topic, not at all. If we are going down the path of 3D then is is an area that needs active consideration. 

Also if you want to open doors etc on the fly it wont happen automatically, like as in animation works you need to basically add a script to the object for this to work. So Marionette will probably be the answer combined with new modules in the VW program that will allow you to do all the gaming things in VW on the fly. Can animate an object at present with Marionette but need a trigger to activate. So in Unity as the player enters an area you collide with a trigger and activate this and the door opens or an event is activated and often its a small animation but looks like a continuous flow. Anyways something to work towards. Will look further into combining the use of the 2 programs until VW get their.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

ok,

maybe a way to do a "blink" move where you click a button and something in one position blinks "off" and then "on" in another position.  if this were done right it would get the point across 

i know that you can do this w/ classes but i do not want to have multiple classes for each door.  which you would need because you may want some doors open but not all so the "door open" "door closed" would not work

so for the sliding doors i posted above as an example you would have maybe 4 positions that it would "blink" thru when you hit the hyper link button then would cycle those 4 positions fast so it looks like its in motion but not really