Seating Layout - only odd # of rows

Jbrinke

I'm willing to bet this is simple, but it's not the first time I've encountered it.

I lay out an area, convert to seating layout and I get 3 rows of seats. We know that only two rows can fit - so, I've changed the size of the seating area, I've tried changing the row spacing... it will jump from 3 rows, to 1 row.  I cannot get it to display 2 rows.

It's not really very intuitive :-)

It's very difficult (almost impossible) to use the seating layout command to match an existing seating layout.  And, except for laying out seating in an event hall or the floor of an arena, it's not very useful for planning complicated seating layouts.

I wrote a script I use to do accurate seating layouts.  One of these day's I'll make it usable for the general public.  

mk

Ahhhh, Marionette perfect for the job.

So in the attached file is a Marionette Object. Click on it and in the OIP change the spacing and with the symbols copy the name form the Resource Manager and paste in place. To change the shape of the poly right click on the object and change control geometry. Change the poly of create a new one and delete the old. When you come out the chairs will fit the new space. This is a rough set up and to be able to get accurate seating spacing and staggered I will need to spend a little bit of time to revise the network, or if anyone likes to play, go for it as I would love to see the different ways others can achieve the same result.

So don't delete it as the network will be gone and depending on your computer power this may take some time to generate as its all in 3d. Can set up the same for a 2D plan and would run much faster.

Have Fun. :)

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Seating_Test_On Poly_001.vwx

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • Like 1

One of the issues with the built in tool is that the bounding box of the chair symbol has to be entirely included in the seating area. From what I see here you only require the center or insertion to be included. Ideally it would be the whole object. But it looks beyond my skills!

I look forward to the finished tool! Thanks