Detail Viewport

Why is it when (in VW2016) I create a detail viewport and go back to my main drawing, the leader line is 480" long even when I type in 10" at creation?

Is there a way to set this so I don't have to fix it for every viewport I create?

The first screenshot is what it looks like when I go back to my design layer

The second screenshot is what I get by default at creation. (I've even retyped in 10" and it doesn't help)

(I realize it shows bottom left and the drawing shows upper left. It was from a different viewport creation but the same issue)

The third screenshot is what I see when I edit the "callout detail graphic options" in the resource browser after the viewport is created.

VW2016 is up to date.

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 3.44.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 4.06.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 3.44.47 PM.png

This is the shoulder length using 1/4"=1' scale. I originally typed in 10". When I went back to the design layer it was at 480", so I changed it to 10". Now when I go to the "callout detail graphic options" it has 10 1/2" and when I try to change it to 10" it won't let me.

My main issue is that no matter what I type in at creating the detail viewport, it defaults to 480". How to I get this to stop, and why can't I change this 10 1/2" to 10?

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 8.54.30 AM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When this value is set while creating a detail viewport, it should also set the default for the next time you create on in the document. If you create a new detail viewport and set this to 3/4", it should give you a 9" shoulder on a design layer set to 1/4"=1'-0". The next time you create a detail viewport in the document, you should get a default shoulder length of 3/4" in the dialog.

Are you saying that it won't let you change the shoulder length value when creating a detail viewport?.

Ok, so I just created a new detail viewport.

Here's the steps:

Create detail viewport from circle

Opens Callout dialog box, put in 1 1/2" scale.

Open callout details graphic options, put in 3/4"

Creates callout in viewport

go back to design layer and open callout graphic options again and it's set to 36"

(if 36" is relative to the 3/4" at 1/4" scale, fine, but ask me for the number you want, not the conversion)

And yes, it won't let me change the value once the viewport is created.

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 11.03.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 11.04.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 11.05.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 11.14.18 AM.png

Have you tried creating detail viewports from the annotations of a sheet layer viewport? I think this is the root of much of your frustration. The tool is trying to help you by allowing to shoulder length to be entered at a consistent "printed size" regardless of scale. Having these markers in design layers means they look at the scale of the design layer to set (convert to) this length.

As for not being able to change the shoulder length of an existing marker, that sounds like a bug. Can you send me a file that demonstrates this?

Thanks Matt,

I'm starting to see how I can use this tool. Having no formal training I'm still trying to figure out the best practices for consistency and clarity of drawings.

I created a detail viewport on the sheet layer and now I see how this can be implemented.

The shoulder length issue was because of the 1/4" scale. 10" would be too small at that scale.

Thank you for your help. I learned a lot today!

Hi, So whats the trick for having a detail callout style? bubble size and text etc? So I dont have to red it all?

I did click on the desired one and selected create similar shapes and each one after that was same. But no saved style. 

Is there a way to set the leader line angle so all are same?

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Currently, there is no way to create a style for a detail callout. You could try creating a report of all "detail callout" objects and control parameters from worksheet. However, I did a quick test and had some trouble setting the shoulder length through the worksheet. If I can come up with a better solution, I'll let you know.