Building Outlines

benboggs

Question

Questions:  I drew a building outline to represent the school.  I also offset that line and hatched it.  1:  I do not want the inside heavy line - I want the hatch to just end without a line showing.  I tried giving the line a 0 pen and when I went to hatch it made the line the same as the building outline.  2:  Let's say I want to change the hatch to be the entire building (blue).  I cannot delete the inside line to make the hatch fill the space?  3:After it's been hatched and I need to copy the outside building line - looks like the only way is to decompose the whole thing and then delete the inside line and then recompose to create the outside line.  

Looks like you need to save an original copy of the single line in order to be able to do things later down the road?  

Make sense?

XA Outline test.vwx

9 answers to this question

There's two ways to accomplish this:

-Double click the shape, then choose the "Hide or Show Edges Mode" and click to hide each of the interior edges.

-Alternatively, set your hatched shape to no Pen, and have a second shape that it just the outer outline. (This is not quite as clean since it's two shapes instead of one.)

-To quickly retrieve just the outer outline of the shape, without decomposing it, select it and it Ctrl+[ or Cmd+[. This will enter you into the polyline as if you were editing a group. The outline is always locked, but any interior holes are movable or deletable. So just hit delete and you'll be left with just the outline.

Hope this helps!

Guest Blars

can you explain or direct us to a video on how the "hide or show edges mode" tool works?  I cannot get it to work for the life of me.  I click on the tool within the "Reshape" tool and it tells me to click on the midpoint to hide the line... but nothing happens.  please help.  thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 minutes ago, Blars said:

can you explain or direct us to a video on how the "hide or show edges mode" tool works?  I cannot get it to work for the life of me.  I click on the tool within the "Reshape" tool and it tells me to click on the midpoint to hide the line... but nothing happens.  please help.  thanks.

Make sure its a polygon/polyline you're trying to hide edges on, I think it doesn't work with other polygonal objects like Rectangles:

Hide_Edges_Sample.mp4

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I've been told this is since a rectangle by definition MUST show all 4 sides, or it isn't a rectangle. All geometry that doesn't allow this kind of edge hiding can be converted via Modify > Convert > Convert to Polygons though to save a few steps.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

I've been told this is since a rectangle by definition MUST show all 4 sides, or it isn't a rectangle. All geometry that doesn't allow this kind of edge hiding can be converted via Modify > Convert > Convert to Polygons though to save a few steps.

In that case, when attempting to hide the edge of a rectangle, it would be great if Vectorworks automatically converted the rectangle to a polygon and hid the edge, perhaps with a warning dialogue box.