HELP! Create plot and model view!

Cmb109

I am working in 2017 and I am trying to create vertical booms. I have used the plot and model view before, but I want to get them all on the same layer rather than having a separate layer for every boom. I have 10 booms and it is ridiculous to have 10 layers one for each boom. Please help! I was going to check the "separate" box, but I am not given the option to. Is there something in the set up that I need to do to be able to do so?

You don't need to create a separate layer for each lighting position. If you have a set of booms running DS to US and they all standing on the same height then just select all of the positions and fixtures and run the command. They must all start on the same layer though. That layer also needs to be active when you run the command. I tend to have a layer for SL booms, SR booms and so on. A good trick is to use the Lighting Positions' Z height to adjust the booms "on" and "off' stage as seldom are all booms in a perfect UP/DN stage configuration.

Hope that helps a bit. Its a tricky command that takes a bit of getting used to. Once you manage it though it works really well and is a really good solution to drafting and rendering sidelight.

Mark

Create Plot and Model View (CPMV) is a way to make it possible to create a Light Plot including vertically hung lighting positions traditionally drawn 'laying down' on the floor per the conventions of drafting a light plot and have these positions and their fixtures editable and also participate correctly located and oriented in a view of the model in 3D. The primary purpose of this approach is to avoid duplications that may disrupt paperwork and quantity takeoffs while still having proper 2D and 3D views.

As with any complex problem it is hard to set up but in return for all the work, it is easy to use; repeatedly; iteratively and is customary in design. Having your booms all on one layer can be accomplished by selecting them all at once  when you run the CPMV command, but this leads to management inefficiencies when editing them later. I think that it is better for editing to have each lighting position Design Layer Viewport (DLVP) on it's own layer. If they are each on their own layer, then you can take advantage of the double-click behavior afforded by the DLVP in the Light Plot layer. Below is a diagram of the whole thing:

btw, have you seen the 3D Label Legend feature, new in Spotlight 2017? This avoids the extra layers of complexity with CPLM setup and lets you 'have it all' as with CPMV, but you would have to eschew 'drafting' the booms laying flat and instead, create your light plot as a 3D model with front views of your DLVPs in the light plot view.