Callout Tool

Is there a way to close the gap between text and leader while maintaining left text alignment?  Ideally I would to align all the annotations to the left but not have these ridiculous gaps.

I know I can play with the max. text width, but then i have to move the text body and fiddle with the handles of the leader etc.   

Screenshot 2016-11-08 09.47.25.png

That's one of the things I tried and you would think that would work.  It automatically is set to .047", I tried .001, even .00"  no change and it would not accept a negative number.  It seems to help with only one line of text, but if there are two or more it doesn't really do anything.  See at new image.

Screenshot 2016-11-08 10.37.16.png

Hmm. I'm not seeing that behavior on my version. 

You can try checking the "extend shoulder" option in the OIP which will extend the line to meet the text.

Or, you could try reducing the "Max text width" to see if that will pull the text block closer to the leader.

By default, mine appears to display properly.

Here's two examples.  One with extend shoulder (top) and the other just "normal."

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 10.52.49 AM.png

Hi jmartinarch.

Yeah, I see your point regarding the  limits of the text margin value. Try if you haven't already the second option I show below, though it does change the justification. 

Perhaps the "extend shoulder" was added in later versions for the very reason you posted originally:S

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 12.36.35 PM.jpg

jmartin, what you are looking for is the "Horizontal Text Alignment" option (see the OIP above).  Select "Right," and your text will align properly to your leader.  I don't know why there isn't an "Auto" option for that parameter so that leaders with text to the left could automatically align properly.  It's a pain to have to enter that every time such a callout is created.  It's only a problem with multi-line text, single line seems to align properly.

53 minutes ago, P Retondo said:

jmartin, what you are looking for is the "Horizontal Text Alignment" option (see the OIP above).  Select "Right," and your text will align properly to your leader.  I don't know why there isn't an "Auto" option for that parameter so that leaders with text to the left could automatically align properly.  It's a pain to have to enter that every time such a callout is created.  It's only a problem with multi-line text, single line seems to align properly.

The original poster wants the text to stay aligned to the left, though. I think the only solution is "Extend Shoulder" which apparently is a recently added functionality.

That being said, I COMPLETELY agree with your sentiment about automatic alignment. Callouts used to automatically switch, back when that was the only option. Then VW added the ability to manually set orientation Left/Right/Center/Justified, but didn't give an option for Automatic. It bugs me almost every single day, as I often flip Callouts horizontally as I'm laying out and annotating sheets. I don't like having to remember to also change the Horizontal Text Alignment dropdown.

New Issue:

Using the callout tool to create a keynote list.  Started of great, sequential numbers etc.  Then I wanted to target an item that was already on the list, i.e. re-use number 4.  When prompted to enter the call out text I entered the number that corresponds to the note (in this case #4) but instead of number 4 appearing the next sequential number appears (in this case 7).  How do you stop the automatic numbering?

That method may cause you trouble later.  If you have one keynote linked to a number on the list and another that is just static text, they could get disassociated from one another.  For example if the keynote list gets re-sorted, or you end up deleting a keynote earlier in the list.

What I typically do in this situation is:  Option drag the keynote i.e. #4.  That will create a copy that you can re-position on the drawing, but it will maintain its link to the keynote list.  If you ever need to change the note text, go into the note manager and change it there (not the OIP).  It will update all of the copies on the drawing.  The copies will be summed (borrowing a term from the worksheet behavior), so they will only show up in the keynote list once.

• 8 months later...
Guest Blars

I am unable to get a single line callout to align to the left.  Instead it aligns to the leader shoulder.  How can i get the callout tool to align left for a single line?