VR goggles for VW2017 webview

I just did the new Google DayDream.  They are far and away the most comfortable.  They also come with a remote - and are only 79 bucks.
I have done the cardboard ones, the plastic Carboard rip-offs, and the Samsung Gear.  The Samsung is preparatory so only works if you have the right phone.  I have not done the Vine or Oculus - but those are more expensive and intense systems. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

....update, bought some VR goggles from Maplin (UK) 'Trust' VR goggles for £39.99 - but there was a cheaper model without the bluetooth controller). Very comfortable, worked fine with i-phone 5, (fit and image wise) but I think as you say Tom, the phone isn't up to it, as the image could be clearer. That said, a good intro to VR I think.

An observation in web view export, settings: tend to change themselves, units are slightly odd. Maybe there could be fewer height options (who needs a VR walk-round from a 3m viewing height?!). Maybe a typical adult view, a child's view and one in- between would suffice! 

I wonder, should I be considering ditching my i-phone for something else at the next upgrade?!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Apple (so far) hasn't shown much interest in VR but that may change. For now it's the Pixel series from Google and the Galaxy series from Samsung that support mobile VR display, but they are both sort of half-steps into the realm of VR which is mainly focused at the moment on the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift.

• 3 months later...
On 21.11.2016 at 8:50 PM, JimW said:

Apple (so far) hasn't shown much interest in VR but that may change. For now it's the Pixel series from Google and the Galaxy series from Samsung that support mobile VR display, but they are both sort of half-steps into the realm of VR which is mainly focused at the moment on the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift.

Apple seems to have not much interest in VR only.

But rumors say they have a very strong interest in AR !

(augmented reality)

I'm pretty sure they are working hard on such a solution and devices.

But I fear that will be again more consumer related.

And they still aren't willing port touch to macOS.

No problem, I would also work on an iPad Pro Pro if needed.

They just have to build one with a display area seized 27-30",

throw in a bunch of their AX chips for a Cinebench of 3000 upwards and add

current desktop GPU power with Cuda option.

Edited by zoomer
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2. März 2017 at 0:31 PM, zoomer said:

Apple seems to have not much interest in VR only.

But rumors say they have a very strong interest in AR !

(augmented reality)

OK, depends on how you see it, AR can be even less than VR.

I meant more MR (mixed reality)

If Apple is just interested in simple AR, like including some advertisement labels into

your camera view in a store, that would not be very interesting.

If it will be MR, showing your building design on a real site to walk through, that would

be a bit more exiting.

Google cardboard and successors sound quite useful and affordable.

I think the professional goggles with tracking will be affordable soon.

(2 years ?)

Non- expert advice from memory, assuming you mean in the web model, point head down onto circular controls and wait for the orange ring to circle and then the command is active.

Viewer height setting a bit temperamental I (especially units for height). Also, works better with some kind of 'ground' or floor.

Have fun watching clients walk round the room thinking they're controlling the movement!