Displacement mapping relative to applied object size

martinfdc

Question

On 3/6/2014 at 0:59 PM, JimW said:

Confirmed, the intensity of the displacement mapping is being affected by the size of the plane it is mapped to. this should not be the case. I will post if there are any updates.

This example image shows the intersection of 4 rectangular 3d polygons, all with the same texture and mapping settings, the only difference being the size of the 3d polys. As you can see, the displacement become less intense on the larger ones.

@JimW

Do you know if this bug regarding the 'intensity of displacement mapping relative to applied object size' has been fixed in VW2017 SP1?

I'm having trouble with the amount of displacement mapping (for my grass texture) being displayed in the different planes of my site model.

Thanks in advance 

p.s.: I attach a screenshot that explains the issue.

Displacement Mapping Problem.jpg

the problem intensifies when there is a curve in the geometry (see image below):

Displacement Mapping Problem on Curved Geometry.jpg

Edited by martinfdc

17 answers to this question

1 hour ago, JimW said:

SOME good news: this issue is no longer present in the latest beta version of Vectorworks, I'll look into when the fix should be expected to go public.

On that note, is there a beta program that can be volunteered for? Or a list of patch progression that's accesible?

14 hours ago, JimW said:

Same file upgraded to 2018 or a new test file? I was unable to replicate this after the early betas of 2018 and I didn't notice it in a few demos of displacement mapping.

Same file upgraded to 2018. I will recreate the file in VW 2018. Will inform how it went after I test with a new file.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Confirmed here as well, something is different however, its definitely happening via image based textures like you have here and I'm able to replicate from scratch with an image as well, but other texture types are behaving differently/weirdly/inconsistently. Adding new info to this bug.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JimW said:

Confirmed here as well, something is different however, its definitely happening via image based textures like you have here and I'm able to replicate from scratch with an image as well, but other texture types are behaving differently/weirdly/inconsistently. Adding new info to this bug.

Great. I'll be waiting for news!