Jump to content
  • 4
martinfdc

Displacement mapping relative to applied object size

Question

On 3/6/2014 at 0:59 PM, JimW said:

Confirmed, the intensity of the displacement mapping is being affected by the size of the plane it is mapped to. this should not be the case. I will post if there are any updates.

This example image shows the intersection of 4 rectangular 3d polygons, all with the same texture and mapping settings, the only difference being the size of the 3d polys. As you can see, the displacement become less intense on the larger ones.

 

@JimW

Do you know if this bug regarding the 'intensity of displacement mapping relative to applied object size' has been fixed in VW2017 SP1?

 

I'm having trouble with the amount of displacement mapping (for my grass texture) being displayed in the different planes of my site model.

 

Thanks in advance 

 

p.s.: I attach a screenshot that explains the issue.

 

 

 

 

Displacement Mapping Problem.jpg

 

 

the problem intensifies when there is a curve in the geometry (see image below):

 

Displacement Mapping Problem on Curved Geometry.jpg

Edited by martinfdc

Share this post


Link to post

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Just checked, It has not been fixed yet. It looks like a fix is planned but I do not know when. Adding this thread to the case.

 

VB-117143

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Has this issue been solved already?? This error does not make it possible to produce nice looking grass in site models or in any other large 3d object with varying segments... Really hope this is already fixed!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

A fix is marked as pending but there's no specific version listed yet. I'll ask.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

SOME good news: this issue is no longer present in the latest beta version of Vectorworks, I'll look into when the fix should be expected to go public.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, JimW said:

SOME good news: this issue is no longer present in the latest beta version of Vectorworks, I'll look into when the fix should be expected to go public.

On that note, is there a beta program that can be volunteered for? Or a list of patch progression that's accesible?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, JimW said:

SOME good news: this issue is no longer present in the latest beta version of Vectorworks, I'll look into when the fix should be expected to go public.

hell yeah! great news! thanks JimW.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Same file upgraded to 2018 or a new test file? I was unable to replicate this after the early betas of 2018 and I didn't notice it in a few demos of displacement mapping.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
14 hours ago, JimW said:

Same file upgraded to 2018 or a new test file? I was unable to replicate this after the early betas of 2018 and I didn't notice it in a few demos of displacement mapping.

 

Same file upgraded to 2018. I will recreate the file in VW 2018. Will inform how it went after I test with a new file.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 4/10/2017 at 9:47 AM, martinfdc said:

 

Same file upgraded to 2018. I will recreate the file in VW 2018. Will inform how it went after I test with a new file.

 

@JimW, I have remade the test from scratch in VW 2018 and the problem persists.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
14 hours ago, martinfdc said:

 

@JimW, I have remade the test from scratch in VW 2018 and the problem persists.

Could you send me that example file please?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Confirmed here as well, something is different however, its definitely happening via image based textures like you have here and I'm able to replicate from scratch with an image as well, but other texture types are behaving differently/weirdly/inconsistently. Adding new info to this bug.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, JimW said:

Confirmed here as well, something is different however, its definitely happening via image based textures like you have here and I'm able to replicate from scratch with an image as well, but other texture types are behaving differently/weirdly/inconsistently. Adding new info to this bug.

Great. I'll be waiting for news!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×