MRD Mark Ridgewell

High spec PC to run VW2017?

28 posts in this topic

Yes, currently multi cores will mostly only help in RW rendering.

A higher single core speed (frequency) + fast GPU with enough VRAM + fast SSD

will help for general VW experience and other standard Apps.

But that might change in the future.

14 hours ago, Aspect_Design said:

Re the cores, for more top plan/3d work a higher ghz per core is better than a lower ghz 6-10 core cpu? From what I've looked into the multi cores like the broadwells really only come into their own when rendering?

TECHNICALLY that is correct, but these days the difference is so negligible that you would be hard pressed to notice it. You might see the difference in math/geometry calculation speed between a single 1.8 GHz core and a single 4.5 GHz core but once it gets much closer than that it becomes difficult to measure the difference really. For Renderworks renderings it is almost always better to have more cores than higher clock speed.

EDIT: The multi monitor performance/instability issue is a filed bug, it seems to be more common on Windows but I have seen slowdowns on Mac as well that are way more severe than would be expected for the increase in GPU load from two monitors. I will add your post to the case.

Thanks Jim. Does the bug have a particular taste for NVidia or AMD GPU's - or is across the board? After working well on one monitor - about 8-9 hours in it crashed and on restarting VW was really sluggish. A full restart did the trick tho..