3D gutter

SharonP

I have extruded a gutter shape and wish to join two pieces together at right angles to each other - like filleting two lines in 2D.

I have tried the add/subtract/intersect solids from in the model menu, but they all remove parts I want to retain.  What I want to end up with is an L shape, with the gutter joining nicely in the corner- each part should end up with a 45° angle at the end.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong - it should be so simple!

Cheers

Sharon

For a completely contrarian view of gutters. 

I use the framing member tool (or the structural member tool, if you are in VW 2017) and create a custom profile symbol in the shape you want your gutter.  Using the beginning and ending miters, you can join at 45 degrees.  Or whatever degree you want

The nice thing about using the framing member tool is that the gutter unit stretches. and saves me from the hassle of fussing around with model extrudes ; it looks good in plan (since it is a parametric object); and you can slope the gutter using the pitch function.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 11.41.11 AM.png

Edited by cberg
grammar...
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

The framing member leaves open ends on the gutters...

With the framing member approach, there are indeed open ends on the ends of the gutters.  However you can make a small extrude as a cap and move/copy/rotate it where you need it. To me this approach is far more quick and easy.  And if for some reason, your gutter profile changes, all you have to do is edit the profile symbol and everything updates.  (Except of course the end cap)

Some day there might be an actual gutter tool that replaces all this, but until then... there are many paths to the gutter. :-)

• Like 1

@cbergAlways keen to learn new ways. So what is the process for the framing method you use?

The structural member end caps can be solve by using a solid profile and then shell solid.:) Make sure you can see all the gutter in your window as when I did it first it shelled only the section in screen but did the rest but left a cap. Like this option.

Framing members could also be handled this way, haven't tried it yet.

Throw more ideas out here it really helps others, If you have trick you think is good share it. Thanks

Capture.JPG

Gutters by Struct tool.vwx

Edited by Alan Woodwell

1. First make your gutter section.  Make sure it is a closed polygon. When it is the shape you want it to be, save it as a symbol.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 3.55.07 PM.png

2. Then under the detailing palette, select the framing member tool.  Under type select Custom Profile. Then select the gutter profile symbol.  Under 2D display, you want to select "Width".  That way it shows a generic plan view that you can adjust color fill and line weight.  You can adjust miters at the corner. You can set the Z axis.  You can adjust the pitch of the gutter.  I've included a file in VW 2016 for you to play with.  In plan, you can stretch the framing member like any other object. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 3.58.47 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 4.00.21 PM.png

Gutter File v2016.vwx

• Like 2

Thanks Alan,

The shell tool trick is interesting, although harder to edit once executed, unless there is a trick to editing a shell.  For whatever reason, I always find myself tweaking the gutters and roofs.

As for making a framing member using a polygon,  I don't think that is possible, or at least I haven't figured it out.  You do wind up with a lot of little segments, depending on the complexity of the roof form. 

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi All,

To clarify, I don't think the framing member tool is path based.  Therefore, you'll need to do miters at the corners (which it CAN do fairly elegantly).  I'm still going with EAP and popping on end caps as required.

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner
  • 6 years later...
On 11/10/2016 at 12:44 AM, Wes Gardner said:

Hi All,

To clarify, I don't think the framing member tool is path based.  Therefore, you'll need to do miters at the corners (which it CAN do fairly elegantly).  I'm still going with EAP and popping on end caps as required.

Wes

Thanks to the bump on this post it reminds me to ask.

Why doesn't the Structural member tool have a path based counterpart?

Wouldn't it just be the Handrail based base counterpart but with structural members. Would be useful in many situations so would end caps for that matter for adding bolting or nailing plates to the members. well and end caps on gutter.