Question about Custom Items

So I did a search for 'custom scale bar' - and everything but what I was looking for popped up.  Let's say we have an office standard scale bar that we use.  I have created this in VWs - is there a way to make this a resource that I can drop in on a sheet in 'paper space'?  Or do I have to open up the file and just copy and paste it onto our sheets each time?  Same for north arrow and a few other "standard" items we use on all our sheets.  Same goes for storm inlets and other various drawing items.  In cad - used to creating blocks - so similar idea only in VWs.      

As always - much appreciated.  

Edited by benboggs

Select the customized scale bar and go to the Modify menu and Create Symbol. At the bottom of the Create Symbol dialog box make sure the Convert to Plug-In Object check box is checked. This will make the text in the Resource Manager display in Red. When you place this symbol on a drawing it will automatically convert back to a standard PIO, but with all your customizations intact.

You will then want to save the symbol into a library file somewhere so it is easy to access from other drawings.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

There is no way to create a plug-in object without scripting. I don't think I am understanding what you are trying to do.

My description was of a way to put a a plug-in object with preset parameters into a symbol and then insert it into a drawing as a plug-in rather than a symbol. Is that what you are trying to do? 

Since you got a symbol with the name in Blue in the Resource Manager, this tells you that the symbol either contains multiple objects or a single group. When the symbol is inserted you will get a group that contains all of the objects inside the symbol instead of getting a symbol instance.

If you put a single Plug-in object into a symbol, the name in the Resource Manager will be shown in Red and the symbol will insert as a Plug-in instead of as a symbol.

I may be doing something wrong since I don't use Spotlight much, but if you have a Lighting Instrument with Accessories, that seems to create a Blue symbol that will insert as a group. If you then Ungroup that, you should get back to the Instrument and Accessories.

Hope this helps.