Tobias Kern

wish VW2017: convert into subdivision, keep original shape

Question

hi,

i think it could be useful for us having the option to keep the original shape

of an object after a convertion into a subdivision object.

vw should ask me before the convertion is being executed what

a option i want to have.

i think this option can be given us via a service pack update.

4 answers to this question

This is currently done by right clicking on the subdivision with the Edit Subdivision tool and choosing Crease All Edges. This was done so that it could be used as needed rather than prompting the user every time they performed a conversion. This has been submitted as a wishlist item, but a feature request like this would not be added in a service pack.

Although I learned the crease all edges option really quick.  I agree that the default action when converting to subdivisions should already have all edges creased.   Its very jarring to have your object turn into a blob especially if you are trying this out for the first time.  I'm not sure why or how anyone would predict or want the blob outcome.   The reason you made that object in the first place is because you want it to use it as your base.    As mentioned, its not a big deal because there is a solution but it just makes sense from an interface perspective that the object should retain its shape after the initial command.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Altivec said:

I agree that the default action when converting to subdivisions should already have all edges creased....

+1 good idea.