BIM OBJECT APP

Just been reading in the announcements that there is a BIM object app

The Vectorworks BIMobject App is unique in that it manages and downloads not only Vectorworks native content, but also transparently converts DWG, SKP and 3DS content in the BIMobject Cloud into information-rich Vectorworks content. This is done entirely in the background and delivers the exact user experience no matter the source data format.

The part that that really interests me is the file conversion from SKP to vectorworks content, what exactly does this mean.....

does it allow me to convert an SKP FILE to a vectorworks entourage file that I can use in my designs

maybe I am reading to much ....and getting my train of thought completely wrong.   Thanks

the bim object app is in the furniture/fixtures menu - you need to add it first with the customise tool.

the sketch import was not worth it on the small test I did - the model came in as a messy wireframe symbol (uneditable), stayed wireframe in 3d also.

probably just works on the few vectorworks models that were already on the bim object website.

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 08.45.37.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 08.47.10.png

Edited by fabrica

Oh,

are the objects or classes set to have fill color ?

That would not be nice.

Generally Sketchup geometry consists of ugly meshes only and it was never fun to import Sketchup data.

It is ok to load some thing in VW as entourage to see them, like current Revit import, but never to work with these.

That mostly means lot of rebuilding in VW or prepare work in a 3D Poly App like C4D.

If there really came in only Poligon with 2 vertices = lines,

that would be something that could be fixed for the import plugin.

I gave you a plus to correct that :)

Generally a very interesting plugin and a nice idea.

I registered and looked at it one time.

For me a bit too much choice, currently I'm doing easier with limited VW libraries.

But will certainly use it more in the future. So not everybody uses the same furniture in his renderings :)

6 hours ago, HEengineering said:

So for those of us still stuck on 16 is this available? 

Yes,

you can go to their website,

filter for VW or other VW importable file formats,

download the items.

(need to register ? I am)

As I see most of the models come in more than one format,

not so many in true VW - but hey, the choice of soap dispensers for VW looks unlimited ;) 

(Lots of nice furniture too)

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

the bimobject <> vw cooperation is taking off. the bimobject manager for poland has talked to robert anderson yesterday and approached me with an idea to model everything possible in vw for many national markets. if i can find enough people to work for bimobject poland, you'll see the content coming. 

and, of course, we have to wait for sp2 to see the bimobject menu in vw.

rob

Edited by gester
On November 2, 2016 at 5:38 PM, zoomer said:

Yes,

you can go to their website,

filter for VW or other VW importable file formats,

download the items.

(need to register ? I am)

As I see most of the models come in more than one format,

not so many in true VW - but hey, the choice of soap dispensers for VW looks unlimited ;) 

(Lots of nice furniture too)

Incorrect.   well in terms of the actual app. Not available for 16.  I contacted them directly.  I really liked 16, but then when 17 got a whole new revamp, left me feeling like were on the outdated version that will get no additional features.  

Edited by HEengineering

I meant you can browse directly to their website and download things from the browser.

You can filter to show only models available in VW file format if you wish.

I'm not sure if these will all be in VW 2017 file format already.

At least you can choose one of the the DWG's (or are there any IFC too ?), to open/import in VW.

And, well,

for me the plugin is already there. I think I found it when adjusting my Workspace last time.

I put mine into the Building Tool Box. And it seems to work.

I can browse the Library  from VW - but don't want to ramp up my project file with soap dispensers

for any further tests now.