STEPPING CURTAIN WALL

Hi, It would seem you have crossed over your reshape nodes. Also you have the node in the centre of the upper panel and should be on the left. Move it to the left and it will align. Need to drag one from left then one from right to get reshape easily.

HTH

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your response. I did have an issue in the sequencing of the nodes. I recreated a CW the way you suggested but I still get a 1mm difference... Do you get the same thing?

A subsidiary question would be: Is there a way to have the opening in the curtainwall larger at the top than at the bottom?

Thank you so much for your help!

Stepping CW.vwx

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 8.49.11 AM.png

Hi Wes,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, in this case that works as the door comes down. But if you try to have the brick come up in the opening instead of the door (see image), I cannot make it work as well unless I juxtapose multiple curtain wall objects side by side. As shown on the screenshot in the previous message, the handles are always off by one millimetre.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 3.40.28 PM.png

Vectorworks can not handle vertically stacked vertices, so you are not able to make true vertical cuts in a number of instances. Walls as you describe are one such place. Another is in the slope of digital terrain models.

I have not tried it in a while, but you might see if you can move the handles so they are off by 0.1mm instead of 1mm. Over the height of a wall, that would be extremely hard to detect. And even less likely to be built with that level of accuracy.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, jeandm said:

But if you try to have the brick come up in the opening instead of the door (see image),

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 3.40.28 PM.png

How do you deal with vertically stacked Walls in a single Story at all ?

I also had situations where I would need those things or integrate Curtain Walls between Walls

or even in Walls like a Window. And I am afraid of it.

Do you deactivate auto joining of Walls, separate on Layers and play with visibilities/edit abilities and such ?

Beside,

for me the current Curtain Walls are impractical slow. Even when you finally try to delete them.

Creating these from scratch is so complicated when you have to do the same settings over and over again

for vertical, horizontal, side and top bottom elements.

And adjusting individual elements is meant mostly in a side view (no grid visible) in kind of a free hand way only.

Like trying to orient their grid in Top Plan View (grid visible) but not being able to pick the axis but the outer edges

of vertical elements only.

Hey Zoomer!

You can integrate curtain walls in wall no problem if you convert the curtain wall into a symbol.

The version that you see on this image is actually a symbol composed of multiple window objects which have their mullion overlapping each other. It could be done with multiple CW objects (as a single curtain wall does not allow stacked vertices, see above) but I find the window objects a lot more precise and reliable even though less easily editable. The symbol also has a 'hole component' which takes into account the difference between frame dimensions and rough opening. 

My reason for using a symbol rather than just windows is that I want the clerestory windows to show at dotted when in plan and full cut when showing the reflected ceiling plan. So with a hybrid symbol and a game of class visibility in the 2D definition of the Symbol, I can get the whole thing to display properly. But all this is just a workaround for something that Vectorworks should be able to do... 

The Curtain wall tool is very clunky and pretty slow and glitchy. It often crashes VW too. You can however locate the single elements very accurately if you set up your view as elevation with a rotated 3D view if necessary and define a local working plane. From there you can just work on screen plane pretty comfortably... but yes, all this for that, right..

Stepped window example.vwx

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Vectorworks can not handle vertically stacked vertices, so you are not able to make true vertical cuts in a number of instances. Walls as you describe are one such place. Another is in the slope of digital terrain models.

I have not tried it in a while, but you might see if you can move the handles so they are off by 0.1mm instead of 1mm. Over the height of a wall, that would be extremely hard to detect. And even less likely to be built with that level of accuracy.

Pat,

Thanks for your answer! This is really too bad, it seems like such a simple thing.

Thank you.

Jean

Ah, thanks.

Forgot about the Window in Symbol.

As I gave up the hole BIM process including Curtain Walls in a current project and went back to pure simple

Solids Modeling, I currently try to recheck BIM possibility there in my spare time.

My current approach is to try again if I can get it to work with Walls in any way and I thought about using

one single large Window as a replacement for each "Curtain Wall".

While the Jamb will give me the surrounding sheet metal covers around the "Window" to cover the insulation,

the Sash should give me the upper, lower and side beams for my "Curtain Wall".

All inner vertical beams will be rectangles in one common extrude like I did in the solids model anyway.

That should give me enough parametrical control for changes while being still a bit BIM-like.

Beside the things already mentioned,

- Curtain Walls should have an option* to behave like normal Windows to be legally inserted into Walls

(* I haven't seen any situation where CW auto joining with normal Walls did anything good anyway)

- Curtain Walls should (Windows also) overlap their glass plane with sash elements to make them

useful for rendering and avoid that texture blinking of overlapping surfaces.

I would create a wall recess in the shape you wanted to make.  Then move three pieces of curtainwall into void.  The walls will not insert since there is a hole in it.  Then adjust the height using the top and bottom offsets for the piece of curtainwall.  At the middle piece of curtainwall delete both vertical mullions. By adjusting the height of the wall feature cut, you can make the curtainwall look good in plan. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 10.17.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 10.06.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 9.56.13 PM.png

13 hours ago, cberg said:

Thanks for you reply Cberg!

This again seems like a big workaround for such a simple task. You can always insert multiple objects, but why cannot VW handle one single proper curtain wall? Finding workaround is not a problem but its clunky and cumbersome when it needs to be edited. 

Thanks

J